arrow-left arrow-right close decoration email facebook hr-decoration logo_small menu-decoration next prev twitter youtube
Welcome!

Welcome! This is where we talk about things, like games, space and pancakes.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Steam

Crazy "Very Bad Thing" Theory

Hey, it's me again! And I'm back with another crazy theory-as if my first one wasn't crazy enough (if you haven't read: https://compulsiongames.com/forum/discussion/38442/theory-about-miss-thigh-highs )
So, I've got a big board on my wall in my room full of all the newspaper clippings, letters, journals, and Arthur thoughts that I've taken screenshots of from various gameplays. At one point, I took a screenshot of one of the walls in the puppet theatre. There are many paintings in there, but the two I captured were these: a painting obviously of the Pied Piper, and a painting of a woman with a child in her arms, running across a courtyard looking over at a figure in the distance.
For the longest time, I didn't even have the faintest idea of what the painting of the woman and child could be from. It was clear by all the other paintings in the house that they were all illustrating fairy tales. It was only until tonight when I was looking at my clippings and I looked at the painting once more that I got an idea...
...is the painting a scene from Rumpelstiltskin?
Even as I was pulling up the Wiki page to reread the basic summary of the story, things started clicking for me. The girl makes a deal with the imp-like being to get out of her predicament only for him to come back for her child. Wellington Wells did something to get the Germans out of their country, only to have their children taken away from them. Sound familiar?
Then I noticed another detail in the story-Rumpelstiltskin asked specifically for her first born child. I looked back at my clippings and saw the article about General Byng clarifying a child registration procedure. It said that all children who would be under the age of thirteen by July 20th in 1947 had to be registered. That might not necessarily be a "first born" deal like with Rumpelstiltskin, but it's pretty close. And if Percy is older than Arthur, that would explain why Percy went but Arthur didn't (just barely-he would turn thirteen August 12th, the next month).
I don't know...this theory is kind of all over the place, and I could just be grasping at straws. But I feel like of all the things in the game so far that give big indicators to the Very Bad Things, it's Uncle Jack's bedtime stories and the paintings in the puppet theatre. The Pied Piper painting and story are clear signs to the Very Bad Thing. If the other painting is in fact a scene from Rumpelstiltskin, it would be a huge hint about the goings on with the Very Bad Thing. And if Uncle Jack actually reads the Rumpelstiltskin story....well then if that's not the hugest hint at what really happened, then I don't know what is.
What do you think? I could be very wrong and have gone stark, raving bonkers again. Have any of you ever taken a closer look at the paintings in the puppet theatre? Let me know!
  • AbrahamLureAbrahamLure Member
    edited March 19
    You might be grasping at straws, but I do like the idea of there being a Rumpelstiltskin "story" based off mandatory child registration.

Also, we don't see any infants in WHF, and there's a newspaper clipping about weighing babies at a butcher in exchange for their weight in tripe... It doesn't exactly specify if you get the baby back or not... :P
    There's a mention also about "Breeder Riots", somehow I don't think pregnant women are allowed to be seen in public in WHF, and for all we know the right to gestation may be monitored also, bringing us back to a twisted version of Rumpelstiltskin.

I still don't quite understand who the Pied Piper is IRL. Was he a German? How did he drive them away? Was it gas? Was it the plague? Originally the story is related to rats, so I'm wondering if it's a plague reference. I'm probably overthinking it, but it's fun to guess!
  • lisalisa Member, Compulsion Team
    @ArtzDeeva Love that you have a board of clippings and screen shots! Someone in Wellington Wells will also (eventually) have a board of clippings and clues, trying to figure out the secrets of the village. (We mentioned it in our most recent weekly: http://compulsiongames.com/forum/discussion/90629/weekly-journal-17-03-2017-back-from-pax-east-and-into-the-trenches)
  • @lisa Haha, thanks! It's so much to have, and now that the Maidenholm update is running, I can't wait to find new thoughts, articles, and diaries. Very interested in learning who this new character is!