arrow-left arrow-right close decoration email facebook hr-decoration logo_small menu-decoration next prev twitter youtube
Welcome!

Welcome! This is where we talk about things, like games, space and pancakes.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Steam

Tetris syndrome

Today I learned about Tetris syndrome whereby you play a game so much that it affects your dreams!
I have had this playing Final Fantasy 7 (ended up being resurrected by pheonix downs) WoW and Farm heroes saga (I know, we all have our guilty pleasures ok!) :P

Have any of you suffered Tetris syndrome and what games were involved and what do you remember of the dreams? :D
  • OtherbuttonsOtherbuttons Member, Moderator, WHF Friends & Family
    Allll the time, but then again I have vivid/lucid dreams and I nap a lot more than the average person, so my dreams are often off-the-charts weird. ;D

Weirdly the one I remember the most was Fruit Monsters from the mobile app Line Play, in which I was stuck dancing on a DDR mat indefinitely whilst the monsters hit the arrows. That game's more like bejeweled, but I have a feeling it was spawned with DDR because it reminded me of the first time I ever closed my eyes and still saw a game: on Dance Dance Revolution.
  • JDickJDick Compulsion Team
    Interressting!

I've had that quite a lot in my life, never thought it had a name, I thought they were just regular nerd dreams. I used to have "WoW" dreams and "CoD" dreams, they're the ones I remember most anyway! I think I had a dream of being a pirate once, back when I was playing Black Flag.

Cool stuff!
  • Half-life, THPS2, Puzzle Pirates, Borderlands... I've had a few. I don't think I knew it waas called Tetris Syndrome though, that's cool.
  • StephanieStephanie Compulsion Team
    I actually tested Tetris for a month or so a few years back and I can tell you that this is a very real occurrence D:
    I played a fair amount of Catherine when it came out, I actually dreamt about that too which is scary due to [Insert spoiler reason here]
  • fromthewoodsfromthewoods Member, Moderator
    This is so cool!!! I didnt know this had a name. I love dreaming as much as i love games, the two mix all the time. I love how dream scenarios feels like levels in a game.

A very interesting one is Minecraft. Blocky dreams with crazy architecture and landscapes. A bad one is Dota, i love Dota but being in that battlefield is stressful. Also buzzing past planets in 3x the speed of light as in Elite Dangerous feels pretty amazing, until you crash and wake up.

@Otherbuttons Hello! I have questions. Did you develop your lucid dreaming abilities or did they come naturally? I only ever had lucid dreams as a kid :(
    Dont know if you know this, but having multiple naps instead of a long single sleep makes your chances to have lucid dreams grow by a LOT. That might be the single best thing if you want to have lucid dreams. Unfortunately, i can't nap. Never could. So do ou have tips or are you just a natural oneironaut?
  • Pyramid head, from Silent Hill.

I lucid dream and have night terrors, so crap like this happens to me alllll the time!
  • OtherbuttonsOtherbuttons Member, Moderator, WHF Friends & Family
    @fromthewoods
    Nah I just always had them. I can entirely back up that what you've said is accurate though, as when I get woken up in between falling asleep, my dreams are always way more lucid or vivid. I figure it's something to do with how awake and asleep you are perhaps/

I have Chronic Fatigue (myalgic encephalomyelitis) however so I'm often asleep not by choice/in weird states of sleep. It's always been relitively similar even before I was diagnosed, so I have a feeling it's something related to that for me.
  • fromthewoodsfromthewoods Member, Moderator
    @Otherbuttons I see. Well, ill just have to keep trying. I usually cant sleep too much. And i still am very forgetfull of my dreams. For all i know i could be having lucid dreams and just not remembering. Anyway, thanks for answearing. Happy dreaming.