arrow-left arrow-right close decoration email facebook hr-decoration logo_small menu-decoration next prev twitter youtube
Welcome!

Welcome! This is where we talk about things, like games, space and pancakes.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Steam

Screenshot thread?

• NailaNaila Moderator, Compulsion Team
    @Ghretto Hah yes, sorry
  • Iris_LockspurIris_Lockspur Member, Moderator
    I was a bit confused there, as well.

To tell you the truth I have no idea why they come out all distorted and fuzzy. My computer is weird with screenshots. Though with some it does add a nice effect to them.
  • OtherbuttonsOtherbuttons Member, Moderator, WHF Friends & Family
    edited March 2016

Here's one of the ruined house layouts in the Garden District. I'm studying locations in game right now for my final project, so I thought I'd share some of the reference shots I've been taking as they're really handy for art references. (Open it in new tab for the larger one)
    @Otherbuttons. Oh man, that's really cool. I've thought about mapping out some of the houses because I love the layouts in some of them. You'll have to share the final product of your project here, if you can.
    I got a sort of morbid screenshot when fiddling with the crash syringe the other day.

"He was only two days from retirement!"
    @Otherbuttons @Iris_lockspur how do you guys take such nice screenshots?! I am supposed to be taking nice ones but they never come out like this
    @Naila I just find the artsy angle and go with it haha. I do also crop them to look better in photoshop and edit lighting where I have to though.
    @Naila, I tend to treat screenshots as a form of "video game photography", I'm always looking for good chances to take shots. Like this one. I call it "The Final Stretch"

• Awesome screenshots everyone :)

I absolutely love the art direction in this game!

• HorrorshowHorrorshow Member, Moderator
    @Nautilus Gorgeous!
  • @Horrorshow Thanks! It's a gorgeous game!

• @Nautilus I hope you don't mind if I just made that bottom picture my desktop background <3
  • @Hidude Not at all. :) Glad you like it enough to use it!

• @Nautilus How do you take these amazing screenshots? The ones that I take aren't half as good.
  • SamSam Compulsion Team
    @Nautilus @Hidude I have to agree. These are really nice! Although you may have to redo the Bobby next week. Tito's been fixing him up, and he's looking even better.
  • @Hidude Yours are every bit as awesome, especially the one with the three beds! I still haven't found that house yet myself.

The answer to how i take the screenshots is a bit long, so bear with me. First thing i did was mess with almost every visual command in the console (thank you so much devs for leaving that in and fully functional. I really really hope you leave it that way in the final version too, since not only is it so useful for high quality screenshots, it's also useful for players to mess around with things and play the game the way that's most comfortable to them. I honestly think it expands the games's replayability even more because of this.). Almost every developer uses/adds/takes away different commands, so it's always a new learning curve finding out which ones work, from game to game.

Second i disabled a few visual effects that can detract from image quality, like chromatic aberration (the bane of my existence) and depth of field. I normally turn off film grain as well, but left it on in this game because it helps with the banding in the sky and areas that are heavy with fog. I also turn on/off the vignette from shot to shot.

Next i used more console commands (and added them to the defaultscalability.ini file when possible) to make the shadows render father away and at higher resolutions, as well as forced better lod (level of detail) and farther rendering distance for trees, bushes and grass and npcs. Finally i made sure that textures were loading at their highest resolution (i noticed certain ones, like signs, weren't always loading at full res, even when i was pretty close).

From there i used time of day commands (to give me specific lighting for certain scene) and other useful commands to adjust the fov, freeze time, disable the hud, make the npcs ignore me, take away the nps all together and let me fly the camera around freely.

Lastly i used a post-processing injector called reshade, which lets you do all kinds of things on the fly, like alter contrast, brightness, colors and bloom, among many other settings. With it I added some anti-aliasing (and then increased the sharpness a small amount to make up for the loss of detail), used a more hazy bloom, added a little more contrast and then increased certain colors to make them pop more, like in the concept art and trailer.

On top of all of this, i run the game at 6-7k resolution wise and then downsample it, which takes away aliasing and adds clarity to the shot. From here i just ran (or flew) around and looked for interesting places/people/things to take pics of. I spent a couple of hours per night the last 2 weeks messing with and screenshotting We happy few, so it's definitely time consuming, but so worth it when you come across a special game like this. :)

@Sam Thanks :] And i wish i could! My friend let me use her steam account to play it while she was on vacation, but now that she's back, I'm not sure if, or when, I'll get to screenshot it again. Infinite sadness. :''(

• That's a REALLY stunning screenshot of the rainbow road, nice capture ^_^
  • I'm going to have to try all that @Nautilus
  • @hiroyuki232 Thank you! The rainbow road areas are my favorite part of the game, graphically.

@Ghretto Sweet :) Messing around with stuff in the console is always a good time. :D

Hey @nautilus, do you mind if I use some of your screenshots for our weekly updates? Just as a header
  • Not at all! :o Id be honored even if you guys used them to throw darts at!
    Seriously, every screenshot you post makes me squeel with glee. I need all of them as my wallpapers forever.

I'm guessing you have a PC that can run We Happy Few then? So when you get access to it you can take your own shots and grace us with more gorgeous things? ;u;
  • @Otherbuttons Haha youre too kind. :) This is one of those games like the vanishing of ethan carter or, the witness, where every which way you look, its wallpaper material.

I do have a pretty beefy pc that i built just for screenshots, to push games visually to their limits and run them at very high resolutions. But even with that, im usually in the 5-10fps range when taking screenshots ( a price i gladly pay though, when it comes to image quality). And I have the game now, so theres definitely more pics incoming! :)
    Oh hey, you got a nice shot of @Naila in that top one!
  • Is that really her? :o
    @Nautilus, yup. There's a few posters with her in-game, I believe.