arrow-left arrow-right close decoration email facebook hr-decoration logo_small menu-decoration next prev twitter youtube
Welcome!

Welcome! This is where we talk about things, like games, space and pancakes.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Steam

Weekly Update - 29/07/2016 - Weekly Update - Launch Week, and Next Steps PART 2

NailaNaila Moderator, Compulsion Team
Narrative Team

Alex

I spent the first part of this week beating the game! As the narrative director, I don’t always get the luxury of time to sit down and go through a full playthrough. This week I did, and it took me about twelve hours! It was nice to finally get Arthur to the hatch on Apple Holm.

... which also meant writing a score of bug reports for issues that only I’m going to catch. I’m the guy whose responsibility is making sure that the world makes sense and that all the characters have in-game reasons to do the things they’re doing, and so I found a bunch of things I’d like to improve.

Of course after Tuesday morning’s launch, we’ve all been absorbing players’ reports of bugs. Some of them are bugs we know about. Some of them are not bugs at all. Some of them are new issues. For example, some people have complained that the NPCs can get a bit repetitious. Partly this is a bug in when they tell you to back off. Partly this is because we haven’t yet implemented the systems for atmosphere and showcased conversations. You should be hearing them talk lots more in our second update.

But, issue heard, I’m going to be writing and recording many more things for Arthur and the NPCs to say.

Of course, like Whitney, I’m sort of at the beginning of the pipeline – a lot of the things I do hit the game in weeks or months, rather than tomorrow. So I have to keep putting things in that pipeline.

Last Friday and this Monday I recorded two voice actors for a series of audio flashbacks for Arthur. Now I’m editing them. You’re going to know a lot more about what exactly Arthur’s remembering.

And, I’m just starting on a similar system for another playable character, the Girl in White, or as Sam thinks of her, She Who Must Not Be Named. She’s going to have some surprising things to say for herself. You won’t hear this stuff for some time, but you will.

Art Team

Whitney

This week was all over the place. I concepted a new NPC variant, started developing some strange new technologies and gadgets, fleshed out ideas for some symbolic statues and landmarks, and worked with Tito, JR and Emmanuel on a new piece to help showcase the Wellies. Super busy!

Here's a quick concept I did for the Mystery House. We wanted it to feel like an old, abandoned manor house - a place with clearly some history.
imageimage

Marc-André

I had quite a lot of fun this week! Being out on Early Access doesn't mean we get to slack off! This week I've worked on props such as Garden District signs, church benches and a majestic organ. You guys should be able to play it soon.

Sarah

This week has been a major whirlwind! It's been great to see so many new faces discovering Wellington Wells for the first time. After watching streamers big and small all week, I find it hilarious how deeply and universally Crazy Legs is despised. I'm with you there.

This week I've been putting a lot of focus into some more Garden District signs (you can see examples in Marc-Andre’s image!) and new architectural archway concepts for the Village to add more ye olde English flare to the environment. I've also been tweaking some paintings and advertisements so that they can be integrated into the Village and beyond, so stay tuned! Below is a painting the naughtier Wellies commissioned for the House of Curious Behaviours, I do hope you enjoy. Ta for now!

Emmanuel

I worked on vista and rock formation. This is going to change how the edges of the islands appear, and should help to improve the look of the world.

Design Team

Vince

Hi! I have been very busy answering and reading a lot of feedback on Steam and on our forums. I tried to reply to as much questions as I could, and at the same time compiling all the recurring feedback we are getting and of course fixing and testing a lot of bugs that you guys reported. Keep them coming!

Antoine

Hello! I hope you people are enjoying playing the Gameplay Alpha. We’re reading the comments, having great discussions over many things you people mentioned and obviously making changes and fixes. We’re really excited to have some honest feedback on the survival mechanics and to be able to iterate on them. That’s what Early Access is about! The team is working a lot on breaking repetitions in both the things you see and the things you do. For example, we’re prototyping new underground sections, that bring more of a creepy dark atmosphere with an aspect of randomness.

We’ll be using that thinking to improve the ways we vary layout. For example a path that was opened in one game will be closed in another, traps could have been placed or not and rewards for exploring those areas could be in different places. They could be guarded by maybe some people of the night gang that established a small point of operation in there or by a small group of plagued wastrels. I think many of you are wondering what the Torch (flashlight) is about since you really don’t have any use for it right now. The plan for it is that you will need it to navigate underground sections that will be mostly dark (with certain light sources so that you don’t get stuck because the power cell in your Torch has depleted). All those empty power cells will also be able to be refilled with the Motilene Harvester!

Mike

Hey guys - This week I made a bunch of bug fixes and improvements following the awesome feedback you guys have been giving us. Thank you very much for this!

Also, making a bunch of new buildings for the village, with focus on adding secondary circulation between the main streets and the back alleys:

...and I’m working on a few more that I might show you guys next week. I completed the basic layout for a new underground level:

... this should be pretty fast to flesh out and finalize.

Minor stuff:

New “unfitting NPCs” system, where a NPC of the wrong type for the island can spawn at random (for instance, you can sometimes see a Wastrel appear during the day in the village… mayhem ensues.)
Improved our position when we sit, on all chairs and benches, so it feels more natural Fixed a bunch of issues with map markers
Fixed a bunch of issues with save/load
You can now throw the rubber ducks at people :D
Animation Team

Remi

Hey everyone! This has been a very important week for us to receive all of your feedback. It is very exciting to watch people play our game and allows us to take TONS of notes about what to fix and improve. That being said I have mostly spent my whole week integrating more character variations and fixing bugs. It was quite a busy week and hopefully, we will be able to fix most of the issues in future updates. I would have loved to show you some of the upcoming animations, but I guess it’ll have to wait for the next update! Glad to have new people on board and I hope we’ll have more to show in future updates!

That is all for now, thank you for tuning in!

Compulsion Team
  • poiterpoiter Member
    Find the dialog of many NPCs very repetitious and boring after a while
  • Is there going to be more places to enter upon final release?
  • BoSox - I can't speculate on the final size of the game world, but it seems that the parade district will be the next game area available. I haven't read of a finalized number of locations, but I can assume that the parade district will have one or two attached to it.
  • Oh the map is fine in size. I was just curious if more buildings. Or businesses will be able to be entered. I would love to drink my coffee/tea in a shop while on joy. Haha
  • Agreed I would love to see more buildings I can enter especially since I have large thieving hands muahahahaha!
  • I've been enjoying the game thoroughly, and can't wait for more updates! One thing I've read on the loading screens, was something along the lines of "read newspapers they contain helpful info." That being said, on every playthrough I've had the newspapers only say one thing; "New flavor Coconut Joy." Not sure if it's intentional or being addressed, but I'd certainly love to see more articles added in the future; especially if some of the articles included are the ones you choose to either censor our approve during the start of Arthur's story. This will definitely add to the immersion. Keep up the great work, I've been waiting so long for this title and have been loving it so far!! (I'm on Xbox One)
  • looking forward to the update!!
  • Is the update out tomorrow?!?!?!