arrow-left arrow-right close decoration email facebook hr-decoration logo_small menu-decoration next prev twitter youtube
Welcome!

Welcome! This is where we talk about things, like games, space and pancakes.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Steam

Pokemon Go Thread

NailaNaila Moderator, Compulsion Team
I know I am not the only one so why not have a thread :)

I have a question about the game. How do people know a specific Pokemon is in a certain area? Let's say this person's backyard. I know the game tells you the pokemons that are nearby but I feel like I am missing something.
  • Hey Naila,

I think it's less about knowing exactly what place to find one and more about knowing the environment for it. Water pokemon near bodies of water, bug types in forests and woods, industrial kinds (grimer, magnemite etc) in more industrial environments. As far as I can tell you can't know exactly what place you can find a specific one. Like I can't say, "My neighbor John has hitmonlee in his yard, but Jessica across the street has clefairy" I think it's more like "My neighborhood has both hitmonlee and clefairy around, gotta just walk around and see which one is where tonight".

Oh, plus time of day dictates what shows up. That changes too.
  • shmerlshmerl Member
    edited July 2016
    By the way, why do you think it's such a rage lately? I see articles about it all around, and people playing it in the streets. Is it really a first AR game, or there is something too original about it?
  • Iris_LockspurIris_Lockspur Member, Moderator
    @shmerl I think it has to do with nostalgia. The reason so many college aged people and adults are playing is simply that; when they were kids Pokemon is what they played. Walking around a college town and seeing so many people on their phones playing PoGo is the strangest experience, really. And the game is free (mostly).

While I'm not a fan myself I still find it pretty cool how it's garnered so many people from all ages.