arrow-left arrow-right close decoration email facebook hr-decoration logo_small menu-decoration next prev twitter youtube
Welcome!

Welcome! This is where we talk about things, like games, space and pancakes.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Steam

What was your favorite video game as a kid and tell me why?

Tell me what was your favorite video game when you was a kid and why? And what level was your favorite and why? :)

Mines was actually psychonauts, when it release back in 2005. I was 5 years old when I played it on xbox. I just love the vibe, art style, and storyline of the game. It took me awhile to finish the last level of the game, which was extremely hard for platforming, but I managed to finish when I was 7. XD My favorite level, well actually 2 levels, was black velvetopia and Milla's Dance Party. Black velvetopia has a neon spanish city with the chubby wrestlers and Milla's Dance Party has a 60s and 70s type of level. They both have some nice soundtracks, especially for my favorite soundtrack, "Taking on Black Velvetopia's Worst". :D I can't wait to see your response.
  • SamSam Compulsion Team
    It's a toss up between:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UFO:_Enemy_Unknown (the original Xcom)

and

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_of_Orion

I got them both in a Micropose two-pack. Legit manuals and everything (the covers are the first pictures of the wiki page). One of the few times my folks bought me games. Obviously they have excellent taste, because I still play both these games from time to time.
  • VincentVincent Compulsion Team
    edited February 2016
    Donkey Kong Country on SNES !
    So fluid, so smooth, so beautiful, not too complicated for 8 years old me. Sounded great too !
    It had a co-op mode, even though you didn't really played simultaneously.
    Favourite level... Heck I don't know, that was a long time ago ! Each world has it's flavour and mechanics... I think I remember very fondly the Forest one.
    Yeah I'm getting old too.
  • VinceVince Compulsion Team
    One of my favourite game as a kid was Jackal, a NES top-down shoot-em up. It's not the best game of its kind, surely, but I will always remember it because I was playing with my older brother and it was a pretty tough game, so we played it for quite a while. After a while, we would know where every enemy was coming from and where all the power ups were hidden, but even then, it was a pretty hard game since you only have like 1 or 2 hit points.
    We had a lot of games to play together, but I think this is the first one we played, like, over and over again. I was, I dunno, 6 or 7 years old I think when we got it.

And then when we got a SNES, it was definitely Rock N' Roll Racing! Very challenging isometric race game, with lots of power-ups, upgrades and weapons.
    Let the carnage begin!!!
  • JDickJDick Compulsion Team
    Well, there are a couple of games I can think of, but because of the memories and the time I spent playing it (and grinding my characters to lvl99 in dinosaur forest), I have to go with Final Fantasy III (VI) on the SNES.

Even before I owned it I used to play it co-op at my best friend's place. Actually, we also used to play 1 vs 1... how do you ask? We'd go to Narshe and get into a fight with Leaf Bunnies, each controlling 2 characters, then we'd just attack each other until one of our team was defeated. So much fun! Then later on in my early teens, out of nowhere, one of my eldest aunts came up to me while we were at the cemetary. She'd heard that I was into video games and she asked if I'd be interested in her copy of the game. I was blown away... not only that she played video games (to me, she was way old) but the fact that out of all the games, she gave me this one... And it was boxed, with the booklet, the guide and the map. I still own it to this day and despite its very good trade value, I don't think I'll ever part with it!

Fun fact, the Final Fantasy series is also what helped me most in the process of learning english as my 2nd language! Oh and I couldn't talk about this game without at least mentioning the masterpiece that was Uematsu's soundtrack. Even in its original midi format, it's still one of my favorite OST today.

A legit shout-out to a couple of other games that easily could have made it to the top spot :
    - Donkey Kong Country
    - the legend of Zelda : Ocarina of Time

As a kid, this wonderful triad of games is what formed my gamer identity. I beat those so many times, I would probably still know them by heart 15-20 years later...
  • AlexAlex Compulsion Team
    When I was a computer science major at Yale, I played a lot of an ASCII adventure game called Rogue. There has never been another game like it.

Heh.

In Rogue, food was a semi colon, dungeon corridors were pound signs, and the dread Umber Hulk was an uppercase U.

At Durfee's Sweet Shop, there were arcade games. I was never a hardcore player, but I did spend a lot of quarters on Missile Command.
  • NailaNaila Moderator, Compulsion Team
    I didn't have a favorite one really, I loved all of them and we would play new ones constantly (god bless having 2 older brothers)

But Secret of Mana and Ocarina of Times are games that marked me deeply.
  • StephanieStephanie Compulsion Team
    The problem with picking a childhood favorite game is that Nostalgia tells me everything I played was my favorite.
    Some memorable ones though:

- World of Illusion (Genesis): The first console game I ever played. My favorite level was definitely candyland. I am still a sucker for 2D platformers, bright colors and magic.

- Rollercoaster tycoon 2 (PC): it came with a 'free' box of cheerios. I put so many hours into that game, I got a real kick out of managing and building my own park.

- Pokémon Pinball (GBA) /Full Tilt (PC) /Sonic (Genesis). I LOVE pinball. When I go to the arcades, its always the pinball machines that eat my quarters. I secretly want to build my own machine.

- Animal crossing (GC): One of those games that always gave me that warm and fuzzy feeling. My only regret was that I used cheat codes and time traveled my way though the game as a kid, so when ACNL came out I made a pact with myself that I would play 'for real' this time.
  • OtherbuttonsOtherbuttons Member, Moderator, WHF Friends & Family
    A PS2 game called Dark Chronicle. I still remember the day we picked up the PS2 for Christmas, and mum told me 'one game'. I still remember the layout of the store, finding the game, getting so excited over the 'RPG' (it was a dungeon crawler but I didn't know the difference) and 'Sims' elements of it. I rushed to my mum, told her I needed this, and then badgered her the entire way back if I could play it before Christmas (I think this was early November, so it was a hell of a wait for a kid).

I don't think I got to play it early, but let me tell you that game hit me like a ton of bricks. It was so fun, had an amazing story, and it just filled me with a sense of glee.

I've literally just found out it's got a PS4 remake, so if you have a PS4 please do check it out. ♥

@Stephanie
    'World of Illusion'
    ... omg there was another Castle of Illusion game? i- i need to play this.

Also getting the 'move on' option in Pokémon Pinball three times and getting to the difficult areas was the best feeling as a kid.
  • StephanieStephanie Compulsion Team
    edited February 2016
    @Otherbuttons I only played the one, but they made a few of them :) wikipedia
  • ShibouShibou Member
    edited February 2016
    Well seeing as how I'm only 20, Playstation was what I played with as a kid, and I absolutely loved playing Spryo when I was little. I still have my old Spyro games and every once in a while I take them out and play them for the millionth time because I still love them so much xP The very first one came out in 1998, I remember trying to collect all the games as they came out! :P

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spyro_(series)
  • Iris_LockspurIris_Lockspur Member, Moderator
    edited March 2016
    (can someone please delete this I don't know why it messed up)
    I never really got into games until probably middle school. That's when a friend of mine let me borrow his PS2 and I'd play We <3 Katamari until my fingers were sore. But then I got a Wii for Christmas and discovered the Virtual Console, I bought Paper Mario. To this day, the Paper Mario series has been my absolute favourite game series (well...up until Sticker Star. Don't like that one too much..) and they have their own special place on my games shelf. I even spent weeks watching eBay so I could get a Japanese copy of The Thousand Year Door to go with my Spice Orange GameCube (the pride of my collection) for a good price.

My dream is to get a copy of the original Paper Mario with the box and all the inserts one day. An expensive dream, yes, but one can hope.

My collection: http://imgur.com/tSH1ZSu
    @Iris_Lockspur Yes I love Paper Mario! But I've only played the N64 one. Did you see they announced a new one for Wii U last week?
    @Naila You should definitely try to get your hands on a copy of The Thousand Year Door, then. It's incredible. And I did see that! I'm still a bit iffy on it though, hoping the mechanics are more enjoyable than in Sticker Star.
    edited March 2016
    @Iris_Lockspur Hopefully it's on the Virtual Console on the Wii U, which I love as I always go back to the classics
  • shmerlshmerl Member
    edited June 2016
    Probably the Neverhood and Loom.

Soundtrack in the Neverhood is simply fabulous, and the game has great humor. And Loom captivated me with its mystical story and usage of music for weaving magic.

Both of them are playable in ScummVM now. Loom you can get on GOG, but The Neverhood is hard to find. You can vote for it here:
    https://www.gog.com/wishlist/games/the_neverhood
    https://www.change.org/p/electronic-arts-ea-please-release-the-neverhood-on-gog
  • My favorite game when I was a bit younger was the original Starfox 64, and Goldeneye for the Nintendo 64. My dad and I would play that together for hours on end. It was just a great bonding experience for both of us and the games were fun.
  • Hands down, Crono Trigger. It turned me on to story telling through video games a media and I learned how immersive and important a story is. Unfortunately, it also made a big ol' nerd - a fair trade off though, given everything. I had an SNES and as a kid begged my mom to troll pawnshops to find SNES games. It was a downward spiral. At 14, I bought myself BG:2, got into D&D, and became a life-long nerd................

Best decision ever.
  • My favorite was Tomba! 2--did anyone else get the chance to play that gem of a game? The world was fun and the characters were endearing (well, most were. Zippo was just plain annoying!), you got to throw evil pigs into bags, and the art style was really engaging. The best part was watching the world change before your eyes whenever you defeated its evil pig counterpart. The game itself feels incomplete (as does the original), and there was unfortunately never a third, but I have hope that with this resurgence of old game nostalgia that someone might remake it!
  • fromthewoodsfromthewoods Member, Moderator
    edited August 2016
    It has the to the very first games i played as a kid on the original master system. Alex Kidd came in the master system's memory, it is the first game i ever played and has to be my favorite still. I also loved Black Belt :D

You had to Jo-Ken-Po the bosses haha. And it is sooo hard, ive tried beating it again recently to no avail.

So good, i couldnt believe, i was problably 5 or 6 years old. Never stoped loving videogames.

@shmerl That music was truly great thanks for posting. I never played The Neverhood now this got me very curious. I remember playing Skullmonkeys on the ps1, but even tho the game was charmingly weird, the controls didnt feel too good and i never finished.
  • shmerlshmerl Member
    edited August 2016
    @fromthewood: Unlike Skullmonkeys which is a platformer, The Neverhood is a full blown point and click adventure game. You surely should try playing it. How to get it, is another story. It's enough to say that EA (who own the game now) don't care to sell it anymore, but you can still find it. Besides other ways, you can buy old CDs on Ebay relatively cheap. It's worth it. You should use ScummVM to actually play the game once you have the resources files.

Here is an interesting video from Dreamworks about the original Neverhood release (beware of spoilers):

There is also a "sprititual sequel" to it, made by the same authors: Armikrog: https://www.gog.com/game/armikrog
    It was crowdfunded, and I was one of the backers. They couldn't make direct sequel to the Neverhood because of EA. It came out pretty good, though I think the Neverhood was still better :)

@Fromthewoods Holy sh*t!! I've been trying to remember this game forever!! I played it when I was 7 and never remembered the name of it Thank you!
    @Naila Haha Im so happy i helped someone remember this game ^^
  • SamSam Compulsion Team
    @fromthewoods Concur on how hard that game was. I never came close to finishing it.
    @Sam From the way i wrote the post it may sound like i have beatean it once and tried again recently. Let me clarify: hell no. I only got as far as beating the blue bear boss, at the end of the forest level, once or twice. And that game is so big, it is beautiful insane.
  • Mario Adventure and Duck Hunting.