arrow-left arrow-right close decoration email facebook hr-decoration logo_small menu-decoration next prev twitter youtube
Welcome!

Welcome! This is where we talk about things, like games, space and pancakes.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Steam

Slaughters Apprentice

Playing on the Xbox, during the mission when the butcher comes up to check on the machine I ended up dead. Now when the game reloads it loads back to being on zero health and I die instantly and can’t do anything about it. Just stuck on a constant loop of death. Please help.
  • LeeLee Member, Compulsion Team
    Hi there,

Sorry to hear you're experiencing this issue :(

I'll have to ask you a few questions to try and narrow down the issue:

When you reload into the game, before dying a second time, where do you respawn (in the bedroom, etc)? Also, do you have enough time to open your game menus and check the Status Effects screen? This may show you what is killing the character or affecting them. Are the spankers zapping the character to death or is it something else?

Cheers,
    Lee
  • The screen is all black (well it’s red around the edges and has the usual on screen icons) so can’t actually see the location, I died in the room where the meat is packaged so I’m guessing I’m still there. Unless of course I’ve spawned somewhere else like the bedroom. In regards to the opening of the menus. It’s impossible. Once the game loads there’s about two seconds until death. Essentially you’re dead on the load. The big old red skull is in the corner waiting for you. I’ve tried a fair few times to bring up the menu or pause screen but nothing, it just doesn’t have the time for any commands.
    edited March 8
    So it seems you're loading back into the game in the dying state. Do you know if you are low on hunger or thirst as well? If that's the case, these icons should be appearing red in the top-left where the red skull is located.
    Unfortunately you won't be able to retrieve and send save data to us from Xbox, which limits our ability to troubleshoot the problem.

If it's possible for you to capture a quick video of the issue as it occurs, that could be helpful. A phone video is fine, as long as we can see what's happening before and after loading your save game. If you can upload to a Youtube, Dropbox or similar account, we can take a look.
  • Sorry it took so long to reply had to wait until I had a chance to get the game on. So here is a link showing what happens in the game. None of the controls do anything while the game is in play.

Hope the video works.
    It appears your character is dying because they are being spawned in water when the game loads in (you can see the reason on the post-death newspaper).
    This likely causes by a level not being streamed in correctly or the spawn location being placed OOW erroneously.

I've shared this information with the rest of the development team so we can look into preventing this from occurring on the 1.0 release. Unfortunately I don't believe there's an immediate work around for your save game. You could try pausing the game quickly right when you load in (before death triggers) and goto Options > Developer Cheats > Ghost Mode ON. If you can pause the game quick enough and toggle ghost mode, it should prevent death from water and allow you to fly back into the Butcher's house and continue your game.

Please let us know if this works for you.
    If we find another solution we'll be sure to let you know.

Cheers,
    Lee
  • I’ve tried pausing the game but it doesn’t seem to want to do that. Thanks for the help you’ve given so far. And thanks for passing it on. If I have to wait I’ll wait happily. Absolutely loving the game.
    It's worth noting that when the 1.0 game releases, your existing save games will be incompatible. In the meantime I'd suggest starting a new game in another slot if you'd like to keep playing the early access version.
  • Okay. Thank you for the advice. Guess I better get started on a new game.