arrow-left arrow-right close decoration email facebook hr-decoration logo_small menu-decoration next prev twitter youtube
Welcome!

Welcome! This is where we talk about things, like games, space and pancakes.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Steam

What games do you anticipate most?

shmerlshmerl Member
in General Ranting edited April 2015
I'm waiting for Armikrog, The Witcher 3 (Linux release), Divinity: Original Sin (Linux release) and Torment: Tides of Numenera.
  • shmerlshmerl Member
    edited April 2015
    If you've never heard of Armikrog, it's a crowdfunded spiritual sequel to the Neverhood. The Witcher 3 still wasn't officially confirmed for Linux (though it was kind of confirmed semi-officially), but obviously it won't come out at the initial release. Divinity: Original Sin (Linux) had a huge delay - almost approaching a year now, and Tides of Numenera is scheduled sometime in the second half of this year.
  • OtherbuttonsOtherbuttons Member, Moderator, WHF Friends & Family
    SPLATOON.

both my partner and I are hyped for both game, visual, and cosplay reasons. It looks so aesthetically pleasing.

And although it doesn't need to be said: We Happy Few, obviously. I'm dying to get my fix.
  • Well, WHF is obvious, at least for those who came to this forum :)
  • shmerlshmerl Member
    edited April 2015
    @Otherbuttons:
    It looks so aesthetically pleasing
    You might like Armikrog then :) Did you ever play the Neverhood? It's a rare gem of an adventure game made with stop motion clay animation (with amazing soundtrack like this).

Armikrog is being made by the same team and it also looks amazing:

One of the music themes from there:

• NailaNaila Moderator, Compulsion Team
    edited April 2015
    @shmerl Oh I had never heard of Armikrog and now I am super intrigued! Thank you!

I am looking forward to Inside (From the guys who did Limbo)

No man's sky

Rise of the Tomb Raider

And a few more of course but these I am really excited about.

I want to try The Witcher 3 though, I have never played the others
  • shmerlshmerl Member
    edited April 2015
    @Naila: Thanks for pointing out Inside - I've never heard of it. If it's from the authors of Limbo, I'll definitely take a look.

No Man's Sky is interesting conceptually. Originally they only planned PlayStation release, but later decided to make Windows one as well. If they'll ever consider Linux and DRM-free version, I'll surely buy it.

Newish Tomb Raiders are unfortunately all DRMed releases and Square Enix are not likely to change that, so that's not my cup of tea really.

Armikrog had an interesting crowdfunding campaign. It reached the goal in the last moment and everyone was nervous that it wouldn't:
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/armikrog/armikrog/description
    But they managed to find enough Neverhood and adventure games fans to succeed :)

About Witcher 3 - definitely play the first two games as well. They are one of the best RPGs in their own right. I played them after reading the Witcher books, while for most it's the opposite - they find books after playing the games. Games are sequels to the books, but it's not really necessary to read them to enjoy the games. I recommend reading the books regardless though, they are great fantasy series by Andrzej Sapkowski:
    http://witcher.gamepedia.com/Witcher_series

Both books and games aren't typical fantasy, they are more rooted in literary realism than in high fantasy.
  • shmerlshmerl Member
    edited April 2015
    Another game I didn't mention - Starr Mazer. Though it's further in the future than the rest. It was just recently crowdfunded:
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/imagosfilms/starr-mazer/description

Some fun music made for Starr Mazer theme remix contest:
    https://soundcloud.com/starr-mazer/jacob-dawson-daley-django-mazer?in=starr-mazer/sets/starr-mazer-theme-ix-entries
  • shmerlshmerl Member
    edited April 2015
    By the way, Witcher 1 and 2 are 75% off in the Humble Store now (GOG resale):
    https://www.humblebundle.com/store/p/thewitcher_storefront
    https://www.humblebundle.com/store/p/thewitcher2_storefront

And you have both games on GOG, they offer 20% discount on the Witcher 3: https://www.gog.com/game/the_witcher_3_wild_hunt_preorder (since GOG is run by the same company which develops Witcher games). Plus it's DRM-free of course.
    @shmerl You keep on posting games that look SO interesting and right up my alley! Thank you!!

Hmm I mostly play my games on console (I only have a crappy laptop at home, I'll play some Pc games at work on my lunch though sometimes), Id have to check if 1 and 2 are on console :/
  • shmerlshmerl Member
    edited April 2015
    @Naila: Glad you like them :) RPGs and adventure games are my favorites genres.

Witcher 1 isn't available for consoles. CD Projekt Red planned it at one point (see http://witcher.gamepedia.com/Rise_of_the_White_Wolf), but their subcontractors failed and the company almost toppled because of that back then (they were pretty small), so they cancelled the effort. The only artifact that remains from that project is this trailer:

However Witcher 1 isn't so demanding, so it should be playable even on many old computers. I successfully run it even on Linux in Wine using some old dual core Intel machine (though I used a low end dedicated Nvidia card for it). It's a brilliant RPG with magical music, so don't miss out on it. Example:

Witcher 2 on the other hand is available on Xbox 360 (in addition to Linux, OS X and Windows). But it's quite demanding, I even had to build a whole new modern computer with high end GPU to play it.

Witcher 3 will be even more demanding, but it's going to be released on new consoles (PlayStation 4 and Xbox One), in addition to Windows release. Linux release hopefully will happen later.
  • Oh, and you if you need any assistance with running the game, Witcher community is very helpful.

Nah, I'm just joking. Well... Not entirely...
    Bah, you know what I mean.

I can't say I'm really anticipating anything, more... saving up money for already released titles. The anticipation of playing the game is still counts right?

The mobile version.

And lastly, from an aspiring studio mimicking Telltale's episodic interactive adventures,

• shmerlshmerl Member
    edited April 2015
    Uplink is good :) Blue Valley which plays there is one of my favorite cyberpunk themes (available here from the author).
  • @shmerl I had no idea the music was available separately, huge props to the author and to Introversion for pairing it up with a fantastic game!
  • shmerlshmerl Member
    edited May 2015
    Looks like the Bard's Tale IV will soon launch the crowdfunding campaign: http://bardstale.inxile-entertainment.com

Here is a recent interview with Brian Fargo about it.

• OtherbuttonsOtherbuttons Member, Moderator, WHF Friends & Family
    I would have included a video when I mentioned I was excited for Splatoon, but sadly there wasn't really anything decent... but now there is!

This is Splatoon. It looks even better now they've released a ton of stuff on it. *w* i get to play the demo at 4am so I'm super hyped.
    @Otherbuttons Thank you for this!!! This is SO cute!

Also, I've been away for a week for vacations but now I am back on the forums :)
  • shmerlshmerl Member
    edited May 2015
    New Witcher 3 CGI trailer:

It gives me a sad mood.
    @shmerl That was awesome, also, TODAY!!
  • shmerlshmerl Member
    edited May 2015
    @Naila:
    That was awesome, also, TODAY!!
    Do you mean you'll play TW3 today?-) In my case I'll be waiting until November or whenever the Linux version will come out.

By the way, how do you understand the story in the "Night to Remember" trailer? I'm interested in different interpretations (if you want I can share my own, later too).

Also, I made this wiki article about it: http://witcher.gamepedia.com/A_Night_to_Remember (but I recommend you to make your interpenetration before reading it, since first impression can differ).

Thanks!
    @shmerl I thought you were going to play today. November seems like a very long time to wait :( You do not have an other system you could play it on?

I might if I get a code from a friend but I have yet to hear from him.

Bear in mind I know NOTHING about The Witcher. My interpretation of that trailer:
    - So, he hunts witches, right?
    - They seem to know each other or have history, he is being sent by someone she knows.
    - That song struck a cord with him, the way he says "It's been a while since I last heard it" makes it seems like he heard it from her before, maybe she wasn't always a witch or always his enemy.
    - The witch didn't seem evil, she didn't seem like someone that was planning to hurt anyone.

The whole thing looks like a tragedy, as if they both didn't have much choice but to fight.

I could be WAYYYY off, very curious to read your article about it!

Hehe so apparently I should have listened more closely to the lyrics of the lullaby
  • shmerlshmerl Member
    edited May 2015
    @Naila: You have a great interpretation for someone who knows nothing about the Witcher :)

Some background. Witchers hunt monsters, and are usually hired by people who suffer from them. That's witchers' way of earning their peace of bread. But they normally do it only for real monsters. Geralt doesn't just kill non humans because they are non humans. Vampires in the Witcher world aren't turned from people - they are separate species who are born that way. Also, high vampires don't need blood for sustenance, it's more like an alcohol for them.

So here is my interpretation of the story. He didn't really know her, and came because town people accused her (presumably for murder). She was singing a vampire lullaby, describing witchers as monsters from her childhood, those who hunt her kind for coin (for me, a hint to that is the doll she finds). When Geralt confronted her, she provoked him out of spite, and he took that as an admission of guilt. So they fought each other perceiving the other as a monster.

In the end Geralt wanted to take the trophy (as a proof in order to get paid by the town people), but collapsed seeing her transforming back to human and dying because of Black Blood poison. When he awoke he realized that he didn't have enough evidence of her guilt and was horrified by what he did. That's why he didn't take the trophy and rode away in a rush. The song in the end stresses that point to me saying that "witcher will eat you whole", hinting to his own darker side, again stressing the question "who is the real monster"?
    edited May 2015
    @shmerl Thank you for the explanation and I think your interpretation is brilliant and makes perfect sense. It makes me even more excited to play the game.

It's a shame about the Linux release being so far, but once it gets released, come back on the forums so we can discuss more of it :)
  • shmerlshmerl Member
    edited May 2015
    @Naila: I liked this trailer because it portraied so well the world of Sapkowski and its undertones. I rarely see anything so good (while also so short). The hard choices that Geralt faced, the good and evil which are often hard to distinguish. Unlike high (or heroic) fantasy, Witcher style can be probably called fantasy realism (in a literary sense ;). By the way, if you didn't read the Witcher books - definitely give them a try. They won't spoil games, events in them take place before all three games which are "unofficial" sequels.

A hard part for me would be avoiding spoilers :) I don't mind waiting for the Linux version though. I don't have Windows system for a quite a while already, so I can show the demand for Linux releases to CDPR by buying it when it will come out.
  • shmerlshmerl Member
    edited May 2015
    The Bard's Tale IV crowdfunding campaign will start on June 2nd: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/05/18/bards-tale-4/

• shmerlshmerl Member
    While waiting for TW3, some Chopin:

• shmerlshmerl Member
    Just for the reference, first day backers of The Bard's Tale IV can get Wasteland 2, Witcher 1 or Witcher 2 on GOG:
    http://thebardstalerpg.tumblr.com/post/120442578680/back-the-bards-tale-iv-day-1-and-get-the-witcher
  • shmerlshmerl Member
    Wow, The Bard's Tale IV got a whooping half million in less than a day!
    Wow, last time I checked (around noon) it was at about 200k