arrow-left arrow-right close decoration email facebook hr-decoration logo_small menu-decoration next prev twitter youtube
Welcome!

Welcome! This is where we talk about things, like games, space and pancakes.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Steam

Collectors, show off your Collections!

OtherbuttonsOtherbuttons Member, Moderator, WHF Friends & Family
So something I noticed in the WHF Kickstarter thread is that a lot of you forum-folk seem to really like collectables, and it got me to wondering what everyone actually collects.

So how about a thread to show off your gems and your collections? Whether it be a plushie pile or some figmas you adore. Or perhaps in the future post new things you've gotten? Collections are there to be seen, afterall.

As not to take up first post, I'll post my own collection below to start off the thread.
  • OtherbuttonsOtherbuttons Member, Moderator, WHF Friends & Family
    I collect all sorts really, and whatever's in this post isn't even all of it. I was one of those kids who wanted all the merch of the things I was obsessed with at the time *coughpokemoncough* and then never got rid of it. So between having too much and the dreaded collectors problem of not enough shelves, I've only put up the things I really like. This doesn't even touch the mountains of plushies that are scattered around my room from different series.

Here's one of my shelves, my main Amiibo/Infinity/POP shelf, and the collection in general.
    Personal favourites include:
    Fable 3 Collector's Edition signed by Jonathan Ross (who voiced my favourite character, and signed it with love from said character *cries inside*)
    • the Octodad 7" vinyl, because that game and also vinyls are rad.
    Fable 3 Collector's Guide. Mainly important because it has an art book in the back and Fable 3 is artistic perfection.
    • Blathers (Animal Crossing) cardboard standee (also another of my favourite characters) that I acquired from an AC meet.
    the Boxtrolls cinema standee, posters, & an 8ft banner from the local cinema, which leads me onto the collection that's drained my wallet...

Coraline & Laika: the merchandise that is always both rare and worth more than gold. 8(

The piece in the back is a double-vinyl, and the rest kind of explains itself. This doesn't include the 8ft Otherworld banner and an Other Father puppet.

I also have the Boxtrolls Artbook on the way, as well as a gorgeous copic original of the Other Mother. And to start my Compulsion collection, the collector's edition of Contrast. ♥

now I'll stop ranting: I want to see your collections! Show me the gems.~
  • NailaNaila Moderator, Compulsion Team
    @Otherbuttons That's an amazing collection!!

I don't collect anything really, except for cat hair :(
  • @Otherbuttons Your collection looks great! And I LOVE all the Coraline going on there (one of my 3 favorite movies and books)

I move a lot so I try not to collect too much, that and I have an iguana that climbs a lot.. on everything.
    @Naila
    Thank you!~
    Cat hair is unfortunately a madatory collection. ;n; the price of long cats!

@DingoScales
    Aw thank you! And aay good choice. That book/movie have taken over my life, and as obvious, my wallet.
    I know that woe with pets and collections... my cat likes to sleep on anything outside of the cabinet.

Also my artbook for the Boxtrolls arrived (it's huge and beautiful and amazing quality)...
    but so did this glorious thing:

Contrast Collector's Edition! ♥ (as shown by the inside and the most important character pages~)
    The director's diary is gorgeous, I was able to give the spare key to a friend who'd wanted it for ages, and it'll now be easier to loop 'Carousel' for another week.
  • lucigenlucigen Member, WHF Friends & Family
    My one and only true collection is completely unrelated to games. Instead I liek rocks!

and a macro of 1 other guy that can't fit in the box there

@lucigen
    oh my gosh I'm in love. ♥ Gems/rocks are things I don't collect due to money, but they're gorgeous. You've got such a pretty collection going on. ♥

I'm in love with the patterns on the green one, and the spiky one on the left both weird me out and intrigues me; what gems are they?
    @otherbuttons well these aren't gems, they are minerals :P which basically means society hasn't deemed them worthy enough to be gems, and none of them have been cut by a jeweler.
    The green one is called Malachite, its largely copper based, and this one is from Africa. Mine is a kind of peculiar one in that it has some surfaces that are polished (concentric circles) and some that aren't (darker green areas). Malachite is really popular polished, but I like the natural look so this was a good middle ground.
    The spiky one in the back is good ol' quartz on some pyrite (fool's gold, which you can see at the bottom). Its the classic crystal shape most people think of and this one just had some good terminations that I liked.

If you go to gem & mineral sections and haggle a bit, you can often get a pretty cool collection for not much money. Malachite is kind of expensive but I picked that one up for ~25 USD and that white quartz was only ~5 or ~10. In fact everything in that box I got for 25 or less with 1 exception (the very dark green column looking fellow is called epidote and that was 40). It may not be as inaccessible as you think!
    @Lucigen
    Oh, I didn't realize that was what classed them as minerals. Thanks for clearing that up; I always just see the shiny rocks and my mind kind of goes 'geeeems'. I personally think a lot of them look nicer when they're raw anyhow, more interesting looking.

I've heard of Malachite before, but I didn't realize that was what it looked like. And I did't mean the quartz, I meant the strange crab-claw like one in front of it; it looks like some abomination you'd find buried on the beach. The fact that the Quartz is on Fool's Gold is really damn cool though.

I honestly didn't realize you could get it that cheap. If I had the room I'd start a collection soon, but I might have to wait until I move out after Uni next year. 8(
  • NailaNaila Moderator, Compulsion Team
    @Lucigen Those are beautiful!!!

Also, this.

Thanks guys! and rather than try to figure out which one your talking about im just going to name them all!
    From left to right
    Back: Quartz on Pyrite, Stilbite&Calcite, Epidote on Microcline, Flourite
    Middle: Tabular Barite, Apophyllite, Malachite, Stilbite
    Front: Baked Amethyst, Turquoise, Vanadanite, Obsidian

The big guy that doesnt fit in the box is just Quartz colored by Manganese Oxide (black) and Iron Oxide (rust)

I've got a couple other guys decorating various surfaces around my house but those are the nicest so far. Will update in August with newest acquisitions!

Thanks @Naila, I thought of that clip too :P
  • Not much of a collector, but I do collect bullets/ammunition if that counts. The amount is pretty small atm but it's something. lol
    From Left to right..
    12 Gauge shell (This is for my Mossberg 500 seen Here) , 30-06, 7.62x54r (This is for my 1943 Mosin Nagant seen Here), .300, 7.62x39 (AK47 :D), .223 , .50 AE (Desert Eagle :D) .357 Magnum, 5.7 (P90 SMG :D), .38 Special, .40 cal, and finally a .9mm.
  • Iris_LockspurIris_Lockspur Member, Moderator
    Hmmm...I need to get some pictures taken. I've got...a few things that I've collected over the years.

Give me a bit.
    Right-o. So, I can't share my biggest collections since the two of them are back with my parents, but all of my other things I still have where I am now. Most of my collections deal with physical copies of different media, really. I love having a physical item to hold and look at whenever I get something new, which is always a pretty major bummer to me when it comes to PC gaming. But, that doesn't mean I can't continue to collect games from consoles! Presenting, my personal Nintendo Collection.

On the two images to the right you can see both my Retro Nintendo console collection, plus my collection all neatly placed on the shelf. I know, you can't see the cartridges stack up that way, but I'll name a few of the ones I'm proud of. I've got Nightmare Creatures, Super Smash Bros, Super Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask (Gold Holographic Cartridge), Banjo-Kazooie and a few other smaller titles.
    I've also got copies of Resident Evil 4 for the GameCube, and the Japanese copy 'BioHazard 4'. But my favourite games on my shelf are the first three Paper Mario games.

You'll also notice the shelf of Doctor Who DVDs in the left image. I've got a place that I watch all the classics online, but like I said I enjoy having physical copies of all my media. So this is the start of my collection, and hope to someday own all the available stories on DVD. (The one story I'm waiting on is The Happiness Patrol, still on indefinite backorder for Region 1, though.)

I'm also a very big audiophile and music lover. So, this set of images you can see my CD collection. The row at the top is my personal collection, while the large shelf below it are all CDs I inherited from my dad when he died around a year and a half ago. Someday I hope to have a collection twice as big as his own.
    You'll also notice the hat and coat rack. I've started collecting odd hats and coats to use an various costumes I eventually plan to put together. My favourite coat is the red corduroy I got so I could cosplay as the 4th Doctor.

And last but certainly not the least, my Beatles and vinyl collection. This one should be pretty self explanatory. The Beatles are my absolute favourite band, and as such I have a decently large collection. (I told @Otherbuttons during a stream already but I have about...4GB worth of Beatles on my laptop.) In my vinyl collection my personal favourites are my Fleetwood Mac and Supertramp records, of which I have nearly all of their albums.

(Apologies for the absolute massive resolutions. I still can't figure out how to code the images sizes down. :s )
    edited April 2016
    Some things I am unable to photograph and share include my large model railroad collection my dad and I collected together (they're all away in storage because I don't have room to set up anywhere) and I've also got a pretty decent rock and mineral collection ( @lucigen, you aren't the only one), also in storage. Oh, and my foreign coin/banknote collection which is back at home, which is honestly probably worth over a grand at the very least.
    @iris_lockspur
    i envy your collections so bad oh my god

Seriously that's some impressive collecting! Especially on the retro front. ♥
    @Otherbuttons, I envy your Laika memorabilia! That's a lotta really awesome stuff you have there.
  • SamSam Compulsion Team
    @Iris_Lockspur mother of god. So many things. Very impressive.