arrow-left arrow-right close decoration email facebook hr-decoration logo_small menu-decoration next prev twitter youtube
Welcome!

Welcome! This is where we talk about things, like games, space and pancakes.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Steam

Cosplay Thread! Show off your Happy Face.~

OtherbuttonsOtherbuttons Member, Moderator, WHF Friends & Family
in Fan Art, Cosplay, Fiction edited August 2016

Bad internet, limited makeup, a fast-growing obsession with this game, and talking to @Nalia yesterday about cosplay lead to this: a three/four hour experiment.
All of it's closet and my own hair, so I apologize about how shoddy it is. I'm pretty happy with the makeup though!

It's uh... it's taught me that when I do this properly in the future I'm going to look into commissioning a latex mask that I can spirit gum to my face instead. ;u; my face is so sore now.

(but hey, it got a friend interested in cosplaying WHF with me in the future!)

Are any of you cosplaying? I want to see your Happy Face. ♥
  • Love it! I'm thinking about doing one for DragonCon this year. I love my Star Wars Biker Scout, but August in Georgia is crazy hot and I could use a change for a day. I'm going to try the mask route as I'm not good with makeup.
  • Looks awesome!
  • OtherbuttonsOtherbuttons Member, Moderator, WHF Friends & Family
    @Alianin
    Thanks! and you totally should. I'd definitely suggest mask if it's going to get hot anyway; a mask will get hot, but 60s clothing isn't really majorly boiling, and even if it is you can remove layers.

Will you be commissioning the mask or making it?

@Downer
    Thank you!~ ♥
  • I'm afraid my fabrication skills aren't that advanced yet, so I'd be commissioning it.
    @alianin
    If you find a place that do commission them, would you mind posting it here please?~ I'll be keeping lookout too, and will happily do the same if I find any.
  • I sure will!
  • NailaNaila Moderator, Compulsion Team
    edited April 2015
    I admire you both for wanting to tackle a cosplay with a mask like this. As someone who used to cosplay, it doesn't look easy.

Mask Pros:
    Looks accurate
    Flawless finish
    Mask Cons:
    Hard to find or to make
    Probably more costly than make-up

Make-up Pros:
    Can be done at home
    Less costly
    Make-up Cons:
    Less accurate
    Can smear or melt

The mask when we shot Uncle Jack was made of latex, if I find any good tips I will let you know!

edited April 2015
    @Alianin
    Thank you!~

@Naila
    If I look into a mask, it'll definitely be a reusable one; something like those who cosplay Catwoman or Freddy Kreuger. I know a couple of people in the costuming group I'm with that might be able to find something of the sort... although it is also likely to put me back around £100. ;n; The good thing with this is it means it'll be a cosplay I can keep falling back on for cons, so it'll get a lot of wear.

Accuracy and ease are both selling pros over the idea of looking back at photos and frowning that they're unusable, haha.~

That photo is amazing! Behind the Scenes shots are brilliant; thank you for showing us. ♥
  • I am really excited to say that I will be cosplaying a Wellette at San Diego Comic Con International in July. Many thanks to Naila for all the help with images and general support. I've gone with the classic black and white dressed Wellette, which, in retrospect, was a bit more challenging than I thought it would be, because of that giant, perfect beehive. But it's such an iconic 60's look that I couldn't resist. I cast the mask from latex using a sealed paper mask from a craft store. I think if I had to do it again, I would take the time to do a face cast of myself - that craft store mask nose is waaay to big! :) I have already packed the dress, so no pre-con test run of the full outfit, but I'll be posting pictures of the mask, so you can see how it turned out. I made it full face, but ended up cutting out the mouth and chin, so I could eat and drink and talk - all majorly important things! I'll just fill in that area with white makeup - like they did with Jack in the trailer video. I also made a rolling pin, complete with blood spatter as a prop (also already packed - dang I need to remember to take more progress pics!) I would be open to taking commissions if you like the way the mask turned out. image image
    edited June 2015
    @foxyroxycosplay
    Having seen the recent update, the mask method turned out to be more accurate anyhow so you're definitely down for that road! That's come out absolutely fantastic though! I can't wait to see how the full cosplay turns out. *u*

(also aaay Susan too, you have the best choice of cosplays.)
  • thanks Otherbuttons! pictures to follow from SDCC :)
    I found some £1 Paper mashe masks in a local shop and obviously they're being used to work on masks. ;)

This is the test mask. I need a sharper blade for a cleaner finish, as well as better shaped eye holes. I also cut the mouth out after this so I can have some speech at least, since once it's on it's going to be on for the day.

I'd much prefer to have no mouth cut out, but I'd need to find a way to easily take it on and off and without having thin wire over the face that won't happen. 8/ I don't think there's any logical way the Wellie's could have the Happy Faces and talk? The masks have no mouths, and no actual way of staying on.
  • @Otherbuttons That's really cool!

As for staying on, I'd guess it'd be adhesive (though that would probably need a lot of re-applications due to sweat/skin oil). As for the mouth, if you didn't mind having recessed eyes you might be able to cheat by "building out" the mask and cutting away the stuff that would press into the lower half of your face. Another way might be to subtly pad the edges of the mask so there's more space between it and your face. It'd probably have to be around the forehead and I'm not sure how secure it'd be.

Though depending on how much you like to prefab, I saw some face shields for sports that are interesting - http://www.amazon.com/Sports-Knight-Shield-Padding-Basketball/dp/B00I31SFVY - the apparatus looks pretty snug and leaves the nose/mouth free. If you did your hair right and/or added a hat and shades the brace might not be too visible.
    @SyAlmans
    That was my plan for the gaps, but I've noted that setting it too far away from the face looks really weird and I wouldn't suggest it aesthetically. Being cosplay, aesthetic is the point of the whole thing (and for me, health and practicality).

Also spirit gum was already my idea to keep it on, but like I said I'd have no speech. It would definitely stay though, since I've been using it to glue buttons to my eyes for two years and both today and yesterday two heavy buttons stayed on with no reapplications needed. 8> So a paper mask should be even easier to stick on unless it's a hot day and too sweaty. But there's no way I'm doing a permanent option without speech since I character act and am going to need to creep the hell outta people verbally as well as visually. ;D

That brace would be way too visible. Thin wire I can deal with, but thick straps are a no-go. I go as exact as I possibly can to the actual thing and anything obscuring the face is gonna be a bit eh.

Thank you for the advice anyway. ♥ I appreciate the input.
  • @Otherbuttons Personally I liked your original paint job (especially since the actor playing Uncle Jack is able to speak through his appliance, so it's not that out of character-seeming). But yeah, it seems like a pain. Though with the straps, there were some sketches of Downer ladies in sunglasses and with hair styles that cover the sides of the face and the forehead. Unfortunately that would require you to use a wig, so...eh.
    @SyAlmans
    Uncle Jack's is a latex mask, which would take prosthetics & latex knowledge to make. Not to mention it would very likely rip after a few appliances and be just as much trouble as the makeup was; the masks are shown in game however, and I want to keep it as close to the canon as possible. I also don't have time to do a four hour paint-job before every con I wear it and then have to redo it midday because the paint's sweated off. 8(

I go all-out for cosplay so don't worry, I'll be using a wig. But acting doesn't mean standing around and talking, and I'll be walking about and tilting my head and moving like a person does so hair covering it in one-position would horribly restrict all of that.
  • @Otherbuttons Haha, fair. I forget that cosplay is serious business. (Said without irony, as some people make a living on it.)
    @SyAlmans
    I just really enjoy the acting and being the character part, so I have to get the immersion spot on. If you have no faults, there's nothing saying you're not the character brought to life. ;)

If I could make a living on cosplay acting, that would be the dream. ;n; but all of my cosplay work outside of cons is voluntary.
    Wow @Otherbuttons that's a pretty accurate mask!
    So Guillaume just sent me some pictures that he took at Gamescom of two cosplayers he ran into, they look SO good!

@Naila
    I saw those folks on Twitter! I'm in love with the Wellette, she got the dress spot on.
    I've started work on my Wastrel cosplay (because I don't have the money for the Wellie dress yet) which I have to get ready for next Saturday.

I gotta say I'm pretty happy with how the wig came out:

It took 3/4 of a bottle of G2BGlued hairspray, actual floral wire, and about 20 or so bobby pins, but it's come out pretty good. 8> I wanted to get it to go higher up, but there wasn't enough hair.
    @Otherbuttons This is crazy accurate, good job! You make me want to try to cosplay this
  • SamSam Compulsion Team
    @Otherbuttons nice! The wig looks great.
  • I, too, go all out for cosplay

So I'm keeping a close eye on this thread.

I may just end up appropriating this mask

It's already moulded to the shape of my face.
    @Wilson Yay another cosplayer!

Is this how you mold a mask? (I am clueless when it comes to making masks)
  • Actually, no. I have no clue how to mold. That mask was made for me for something else. They actually had to make two because the first one wasn't perfect.
    edited August 2016
    @Naila @Sam
    Thank you so much!~ She made me smell like watermelon hairspray for days after, but super worth it.

@Wilson
    Dude, that is some nice cosplay! If you cut into that mask and covered it over with something you could definitely get a nice custom Happy Face out of that.

Also, I finished my Wastrel and got to wear her to a local convention yesterday. My makeup artist friend did a brilliant job on full body bruises and scratches and blood, and honestly it added such a fantastic touch to it.

This one was from the Cosplay Masquerade, where for the re-shoots I went on with a very lovely Alice and Splicer (we thought the themes fitted together quite 'lovely').

(credit to Rob Parkin for the photos)

I scared quite a few people, as well as got quite a few interested in We Happy Few! Honestly she was one of the most fun costumes I've had to wear. I'll have some photoshoot photos where I crawled in some dirt shoeless a little later, as well as some I did back to back with my Splicer friend.

Thank you for creating such a fun character to cosplay as. ♥
    edited October 2015

Here's the first (and only for tonight) photo from the shoot. It was Rob's tog work, but I was the editor; I tried to get it to colours similar to the Gamescom trailer.
  • Stellar.