arrow-left arrow-right close decoration email facebook hr-decoration logo_small menu-decoration next prev twitter youtube
Welcome!

Welcome! This is where we talk about things, like games, space and pancakes.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Steam

WHF: We Happy Fanart??

• NailaNaila Moderator, Compulsion Team
    That's fantastic @Otherbuttons, I will announce it on our social media :)
  • @Otherbuttons

Latex or silicon application, fixed with some adhesive, does seem like the most logical option from what little I know about costuming and makeup. Also, if you've worn a rigid mouth-covering mask you know that the condensation gets slightly oppressive. (And would raise the question of how they eat.)

Not that it really matters insofar as the game is concerned, it was just something that struck me for Art Purposes when I was trying to decide if I should give the wastrel a facial expression or not.
  • OtherbuttonsOtherbuttons Member, Moderator, WHF Friends & Family
    @Naila
    That'll be brilliant, thank you! (I'll be sure to send everyone to the Kickstarter from there too ♥)

@SyAlmans
    Mmm, that is a thing. Masks are always going to have condensation troubles no matter the type anyway, so it'd probably just be something they'd have to deal with.

I've personally got to try and figure it all out for cosplay purposes, but yeah it does help with figuring how the face works.
  • Wow this stuff is great. Nice work!

If I have fan art to post, should I bother with starting a new thread or should I just post it here?
  • Hey guys, because I like We Happy Few so much (no really :P), I decided to just make a 3D model based off it. It's inspired by We Happy Few but isn't meant to be a direct copy. I'm fairly new to 3D modelling, so forgive my model if it's bad please! :P

I can't wait for you guys to release the game :P
  • Ah what the heck, I'll post it here. Here's some fan art I made the other day.
    For those who are interested,
    here is a time lapse video of the process
  • @fwiller

This is really lovely. The light-bounce on the mask is especially cool. (As is seeing people draw with a tablet. You kids these days with your Photoshops and your layers and your copy tools - although weirdly watching how you did the wallpaper was especially fascinating.)
    @Fwiller
    Since we don't have a creative forum space I made this one for everyone to post art in. ♥ I'm super glad you did because holy crap! I'm in love with that colouring style (and the eyes are spooking me out in a good way).

@Spiderman555
    Ooo that thing's creepy. It reminds me a little bit of Five Nights at Freddy's too?
  • @SyAlmans

Thanks! I'm glad you liked the video. I always find that it's pretty neat to see 7-8 hours of work condensed down to 2 minutes.

@Otherbuttons

Thank you! And thanks for making this thread! If there's one thing every forum needs, it's a place for fans to post their artwork. :)
  • @Otherbuttons

Yeah, I tried my best to make it as creepy as possible, especially with the lighting :P
    When I was making it, I remembered the Marionette from Five Nights at Freddy's and took some inspiration from that as well, that's probably why it reminds you of it :P
    The eye needs some work though (it's mishapen).
    Thanks for the feedback :)
  • I'm super nervous in posting this, I recorded it at 2AM...probably should have not been so sleep depraved, but I hope you all enjoy: https://soundcloud.com/phillip-j-woodward/whf-episode-1

Note: This is just a fan created project that I will continue if I have permission from Compulsion. I do wish I had some of the music from the game for future episodes though, lol.
  • @BeyondSpectrality

That was pretty neat :D. I like the idea of a reporter investigating (and getting trapped in) Wellington Wells. Great work :)
    @BeyondSpectrality
    Your voicing is really neat! Agreed with Fwiller, the idea of it is rad.

However wouldn't it be better to wait until more about the backstory and such is released? Unless you're not too bothered about it matching up, it might be hard to report on details without any details released, etc.
  • I haven't decided yet, I might do episode 2 and pause there for awhile. Because you're right. I want to know more about Wellington Wells and I do want it to be accurate.

Thanks for the support, I'm glad you liked it. The idea spawned from my passion for the old Twilight Zone radio shows. This was my first attempt at trying something like it.
  • @BeyondSpectrality

Well whatever you decide to do, I'm certainly interested in seeing (i guess hearing) what happens to Casey. :)

And another of- surprise surprise- Mr Sideburns. I promise I'll draw someone else next time. Maybe the mad Scotsman.

I had to research so much 60s advertising/colours for this, and even now I'm not entirely happy with it (i've been staring at it for 3 days so it might be my eyes) but I tried to get that old bleached/contrasted 60s advertising style down as much as I could.
  • The artist is always the harshest critic. It looks great though.
  • @Otherbuttons

That is awesome! Loving the colors and the facial expression. Great work!
  • Weird to focus on, but I really like the butterflies. Those aren't easy.
    @Fwiller @BeyondSpectrality
    Thank you!~ ;u;

Also BeyondSpectrality, you got a shoutout on the recent kickstarter update! Congratulations. ♥

also relistening, it just hit me that your British accent reminds me a heck of a lot of Richmond from 'the IT Crowd'.
    @SyAlmans
    Oh! I only just saw your comment, sorry.

Thank you for picking up on that. ;-; I had to use a lot of references from in-game and in general of Blue Monarch butterflies. And channel all my 10 year old knowledge of drawing Butterfree from Pokémon.

I severely underestimated drawing butterflies lemme tell you.
  • Thanks! I've never seen that show before. It looks funny, definitely going to check it out. I was hoping to start recording the second episode tonight, but I am unfortunately sick and left in bed with a 101° fever ;(

There's that social concept that some people can't function without their morning coffee. And it is the most important thing to take your joy...
    the moments you don't see before Wakey Wakey hour.~

I won't lie, I'm extremely proud of that cheesy mug.
    Oh! Also I was meant to make this post yesterday, but I never got around to it: links to tumblr-side fanart. Because there have been some really amazing pieces reaching tumblr but not to either twitter or the forums, and that's sad because everyone likes to see fanart. ♥

'Blending in is hard to do.' - bigmsaxon [Link]
    Sideburns & Wellettes
    at this point, this is literally my favourite piece of WHF fanart and my current desktop wallpaper.

'We Happy Few' - ghoulkiss [Link]
    Wellettes
    She started this is during a drawing session in my bedroom yesterday and I sufficiently fangirled a lot because gosh I love her art.

There's also a lot of Sideburns fanart coming from Spadekeeperwitch that includes their OC iNKWELL!~

They're all going queued up to weunhappyfew, but I know not everyone has a tumblr so I thought I'd at least link to them here.

Finally got around to drawing the second protag.
  • @Otherbuttons

I love how frequently you make fan art, and how they are consistently awesome. Great work!
  • SamSam Compulsion Team
    @Otherbuttons thank you for those - they are incredible! And the drawing of [insert character name here] is fantastic! I think you'll like him, in-game.
    edited June 2015

I finished this last night, and just in time it seems. Congratulations Compulsion on hitting the Kickstarter! Uncle Jack brought a 'cake' which totally isn't rocks and a some weird white icing with bits in, because heck who's seen a real cake these days ay?
    I jumped out of bed after 6 hours sleep just to post this up haha.

I also got hit by the inspiration stick at 4am (as the time all good ideas hit), and although the image is horrible quality here's a photo of the sketches for the three-watercolour protag postcards:

these totally weren't spurred on by the fact I found out that John Oliver looks like a more broad-faced version of Mr Sideburns nope never who's he I don't have character bias whatsoever

@Fwiller
    Thank you so much!
    When a game is this inspiring, I literally can't stop myself from drawing fanart. The inspiration 'I need to draw!' mind-meter goes crazy and you just have to get your ideas down. Compulsion have themselves to thank for all this art, and I have to thank them for getting me out of my art block. ;u;

@Sam
    Thank you!~ ♥
    I really think I will; he seems a little 'off-it' and I love that in characters.
  • All of this Fan Art is so awesome! I am so happy the game has hit the mark and will be able to continue becoming more amazing!

@Otherbuttons I love how many varying styles you have!
    edited July 2015
    I'm currently streaming watercolour protags if anyone wants to watch: http://www.hitbox.tv/otherbuttons

I finished two of the postcards (which I'm not showing until the third is done and dusted), and I doodled this little 'Fancy Suit' sketch (along with me fangirling in the background tbf he wouldn't need a fancy suit for me to follow him around Wellington Wells):