arrow-left arrow-right close decoration email facebook hr-decoration logo_small menu-decoration next prev twitter youtube
Welcome!

Welcome! This is where we talk about things, like games, space and pancakes.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Steam

WHF: We Happy Fanart??

OtherbuttonsOtherbuttons Member, Moderator, WHF Friends & Family
in Fan Art, Cosplay, Fiction edited March 2016

Well, he isn't very happy! Perhaps we should fix that?

I adore the design of the current incarnation of the player character (dork with glasses and sideburns? let me draw that for you...), but because of course there's one section from a playthrough to base anything off of it isn't a very interesting fanart. Sorry about that!

lots of fun with the colours though (I'm in love with the not-just-yellow-brick road), as well as listening to 60s music. ;D ...Although now I want to go and watch the Boat that Rocked.
  • NailaNaila Moderator, Compulsion Team
    @Otherbuttons I have already told you on twitter how wonderful this is but let me say it again, this is SO Cool!!

Can we feature it on our next newsletter?
  • OtherbuttonsOtherbuttons Member, Moderator, WHF Friends & Family
    It's the first of many. ♥ thank you!~

Of course you can! I'd be honoured. ;u;
  • WOW! That looks awesome!!! A real work of art!
    @downer
    Thank you so much!~

I'm going to post sketches and such in here too as to not clutter the forum. Most will be headshots familiarizing myself with the designs though, I do apologize.

I call this sketch: Cheekbone time with Uncle Jack.
    @Otherbuttons That's awesome!! You really captured Jack's traits very well

Having a break from my big comp. piece, so have a Wastrel headshot! I'm super in love with the idea of Wastrels. ♥

one day i'll post something that isn't a headshot i swear
  • JDickJDick Compulsion Team
    Wow, nice art mate! Love all your drawings, but I just LOVE that last one. You really nailed the mix of emotions in her eyes =)

random thought : Tangled gone wrong? :P

Seriously, keep up the good work, pretty please!
    Aaa, thank you! I'm currently suffering from a fatigue spell, so I sort of channelled all my tired frustration into her, haha. Since Wastrels are technically super downers, I figured it'd basically be like they're ill? And being sad and ill makes you tired a lot. So I'm really glad I managed to get that into her; I was so worried she just looked like the default angry-worried of the rest of the doodles.

Tangled, in which Rapunzel got drugged, cut off her hair for money, then ended up in the forest? Sounds better than the movie!

I'll certainly try. ♥ Thanks!
  • DownerDowner Member
    Another great one! I'm just wondering, what do you use to make these?
    @Downer
    Thanks!

'Paint Tool SAI' is what all my digital pieces are done in. It's a super smooth drawing program.
  • DownerDowner Member
    Thank you!!!

Not exactly fanart, but We Happy Few themed: doodled up a forum icon! I liked my photo, but it didn't show very well with how small the icon is.

I don't know if it's allowed to advertise it here, but for very limited time I'm doing headshots for £5. If any of the forum members are interested in an icon of them all We Happy Few themed I'd happily be up for doing that.

I advertise it here because the only reason these commissions are open is so that I can fund the Kickstarter and get higher perks. ;D So literally any commissions brought, proceeds would be going towards the game. starving artist? more like starving fangirl

if it's not okay, feel free to slap my wrist with a ruler.
    or whatever they did back in the 60s
    i don't even know that's what mum said back in the day??
    edited June 2015

Ready, Set, Survive.

Contest piece is done! It's wrecked my mentality doing the majority of it in around 12 hours straight, but it was worth it to draw Mr Handsome Sideburns again (and listen to a ton of 60s music. again.)
    @Otherbuttons That's perfectly fine with us :)
    Also, Woaahh, amazing drawing!!
    @Naila

Thanks!~ I'm really happy with how it came out. ;u;

Some blunders can never be forgotten. ♥ RIP.
  • @Otherbuttons Amazing comic! xD
  • SamSam Compulsion Team
    @Otherbuttons love it!

it's a little rough, I only have my phone
    Love the concept of the Wellies
    @Saintsflow
    I saw this on Tumblr! I'm in love with your linework. ♥
  • @otherbuttons thanks
    I tired looks better in person though

An illustrated representation of my love for Mr Sideburns, & Old Lady Satan knitting a scarf that apparently makes Betty 300 x more fabulous??

There's no real explanation to these apart from I was in a silly mood and doodling WHF. Expect this sort of thing to happen sometimes.
    @saintsflow It's beautiful!!
    @otherbuttons you've managed to make the old lady even scarier than what she already is, good job!
  • SyAlmansSyAlmans Member
    edited June 2015
    This sketch happened as a consequence of work avoidance and liking the character designs. Sorry for the lack of polish.

I also think "Incipient Wastrel" would be a great band name.
    @SyAlmans Lack of polish? It looks perfect!
    *printing it to put on our wall*

Do you mind if I add this in the fan art section of our update on Kickstarter today?
  • Sure, go ahead. To be honest it's partly a consequence of cooling my heels waiting for the Kickstarter to go through so I can have my pre-alpha pack. I'm actually freelancing as an editor/localizer for another game and discovered I'm one of those weird mutants who enjoys trying to break early builds, so...

Oh, I did have a question: Are the Wellies using masks or makeup? I went with the latter based on Jack's broadcast, but Jack's an actor -- the advertising photo definitely looks more mask-like. At the same time I could swear some of the footage I've seen depicts Wellies moving their mouths, so I'm not sure which design was settled on.
    edited June 2015
    @SyAlmans
    I love the expression on that oh gosh! She looks almost feral.

Also, they confirmed they're masks (I thought it was makeup at first too).~

Also not related to the reply:
    I'm going to be doing an art stream later on, and I'm basically just going to be drawing more We Happy Few (and possibly a comic to do with Satan herself). I'll be taking doodle prompts too if anybody's about.

It'll be starting around 7pm GMT (so around 2 hours) over at my Picarto.

There'll be art, and 60s music, and me babbling on about art and my thoughts on the game and probably being a fangirl to be honest (run now).

• Thanks, @Otherbuttons . Masks are definitely more interesting in a conceptual sense, since they prevent you from seeing any expression but the eyes and the lack of expression as they scream and whale on you is nicely dissonant. The uniformity of masks also renders everyone effectively anonymous, which seems like it might have a tie-in to whatever crime led them to take Joy in the first place. If there's no individuality then there's no "self" to blame, after all...
    @SyAlmans

They seem- at least to me, looking at it from a costumer's sense- to be latex-style face masks? They attach to your face quite securely but it also means they can move with your expressions. It would mean you'd still get a human sense of expression and speech such as Jack (and others I've seen in game) have, however it almost pries open your eyelids and forces a smile.

At least that's what I've gathered? I could be completely wrong.