arrow-left arrow-right close decoration email facebook hr-decoration logo_small menu-decoration next prev twitter youtube
Welcome!

Welcome! This is where we talk about things, like games, space and pancakes.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Steam

Weekly Journal - Home Sweet Home!

ClementClement Member, Compulsion Team
Hey everyone,

This week marks an exciting milestone - this is the last week for us to finish off Arthur’s structural changes, so that we can playtest all of his content in its final form. We still have time to touch up Arthur here and there, but there will be no big changes after this point, which is why this is an important time to review and playtest what we have. As of next week, the team moves on to bug fixing for the playtest (removing quest blockers, fixing crashes, and tightening up things that slipped through the cracks) and shifting our focus over to Sally.

As a change from the usual, this week we wanted to show what an international team we are, so we asked everyone to write their weekly piece in their native language (or in some cases, “language”). And so they went crazy. If you like to have a good read, then you’re in for a treat! If you guys would like to comment in your language, please do, and we'll Google translate with enthusiasm.

Programming
Michael
Cor blimey, bruv! How do you do?
I’ve been working, this week, on clarifying information that is displayed through the UI for the player. This has included stuff that we want to try out in the upcoming user playtest and helping Antoine with his excellent work on the new starting island. One of the tasks was updating our new suspicion icons so that there is a difference between “you are doing something bad, people will ask you politely to stop” and “if anyone sees you doing this, they will freak out immediately, and attempt to stop you with all their might”. Lock picking, for example, is not something people will just accept “Oh sorry i didn’t realise this wasn’t a normal thing to do to my neighbours house” as an explanation for. Nope, that behaviour is prime cricket-bat-to-the-head material. The information of what causes instant-aggro was already available “under the hood” so it’s just a case of reflecting that from code so we can wire it up to the UI scripts.

I also added a little arrow for the 3D waypoints, for when it is offscreen. Sam liked it a lot, he said so many times. It’s been a good week.

I worked with Antoine on some tutorial moments for our player menus. We don’t want you to get halfway through the game and not know that you could have been upgrading your skills, in the skill tree, or using the quest tracking feature to help guide you around. We also don’t want to be intrusive with tutorials, so we’ve found some ways to convey the knowledge when it’s needed without holding you up.

[ignore the programmer art/writing]

For the crafting menu for example we don’t want people to miss the fact that there are multiple categories of recipe lists, but as soon as the player switches category we know that this information is understood, so we just display a notice to direct attention to the category buttons when we know the player is looking for a specific recipe, and hide it when they switch categories, we don’t need to pause the game or throw up a big graphic, and we teach it when the player needs to know it. If you can’t tell, I love a well-made tutorial.

Animation

Franzi

Hallo liebe Leute, hier ist Franzi, die andere mysteriöse Animatorin!...Moment...Franzi wer? Was sagt sie da? Und vor allem wie???

Ja, Ze German kommt jetzt auch mal dahergeschlittert (ich sag nur Eis in Montreal) und schreibt euch ein paar Zeilchen. Ihr habt bisher noch nicht viel von mir gehört, aber es ist Mutter- sprachenwoche bei Compulsion Games und ich lasse es mir nicht nehmen, euch meine Arbeit zu erklären. Und das auch noch in Deutsch!
Also, mein Revier sind die zahlreichen Encounters, sprich NPCs, auf die ihr trifft, wo ich entweder bereits bestehende Dialog Animationen zusammenschneide oder für spezielle NPCs neu erstelle. Es geht darum, den Charakteren Leben einzuhauchen und dabei die jeweilige Emotion und Intention zu unterstreichen. So kommt es, dass z.B. ein Romantiker auf die Knie geht, ein Wellie euch ein Geschenk überreicht oder ein wütender Wastrel auf den Boden stampft.
Und diese Woche habe ich wieder einige solcher Dialoge mit Animationen versehen, aber was genau, werdet ihr selber sehen.

So weit so gut, das wars auch schon. Traurig, aber wahr, es ist auch meine letzte Woche bei Compulsion Games und ich fühle mich geehrt an einem so coolen Projekt mitgewirkt zu haben. Machts gut!

Jules

Salut à tous ! C’est un avec un grand plaisir que je vais vous raconter ma semaine mais cette fois-ci en français. Pour changer j’ai encore et toujours travaillé sur le combat ! Ça tombe bien c’est ce que je préfère. Donc comme je vous le raconte depuis plusieurs semaines je “polish”, où disons plutôt raffine les animations que j’ai réalisées il y a plusieurs mois auparavant. Cette semaine c'était au tour des attaques au poing. Dans un premier temps pour nos chers Wellie et ensuite pour les Wastrel. Donc concernant le combat, les attaques sont prêtes. Mais il reste encore beaucoup d’autres animations telles que les provocations ou encore bien d’autres animations de communication durant le combat. Comme promis je vous partage quelque GIF de ces attaques ! La première correspond à l’attaque légère des Wastrel, et la seconde à l’attaque lourde des Wellie. Bon week-end à tous et à la semaine prochaine.

QA

Alexina

Hey guys! So my first language is France’s worst nightmare - la joual. So I’m just gonna skip on that and avoid all the billion spelling mistakes I would make.
This week we’ve been in super high gear for the upcoming playtest and all collectively complaining at least twice a day about how awfully icy the sidewalks are (except Sam - Sam never complains). There’s also new features that are being tested and there’s also some older features we’ve been reviewing such as the bobby whistle. I’ve been doing a stealth pass for Arthur this week and the usual QA work stuff as well as nonsense.
On a side note: Kumusta kayong lahat na Pilipino naglalaro, huwag ninyong kalimutan ang iyong kaligayahan sa pag "tune in" kada simana!

For now, keep warm and do a weird foot shuffle every time someone gives you scotch.
(Please someone, give me scotch to survive - please.)

Art
Whitney

Howdy doo! Vermont here!

Jeezum Crow it's chilly out there! Let me grab my favorite flannel and some craft brew before tellin' ya how my week was. If only I could describe it to ya with a vegetable diorama or day-glo painted junk art sculpture.

This week I reviewed play-through notes, drew a new location, and chugged along on remaining environmental narrative. So. Much. Environmental. Narrative.

Enjoy this painting of our Weird Sisters:)

Thanks for tuning in!

Compulsion Team

• Wieder ein sehr gelungener Eintrag! Ich war überrascht, wie viel ich vom Französischen noch verstanden habe, obwohl es bei mir bereits einige Jahre her ist, dass ich es gelernt habe. Das Italienische und Spanische ging dann auch noch irgendwie, da haben wohl meine eher rudimentären Lateinkenntnisse geholfen. Die jiddischen (?) Phrasen im Teil von Alex und Lisa hab ich auch noch relativ gut rausbekommen, zumindest einige. Sind ja teilweise Deutsche Wörter in einer anderen, fast schon an die englische Phonetik angepassten, Schreibweise. Beim Niederländisch war ich dann aber doch raus, das sah für mich aus wie Kauderwelsch :D
    Ansonsten bin ich wirklich gespannt, wie es mit We Happy Few so weitergehen wird und wünsche euch nur alles erdenklich Gute! Habe die ursprüngliche Kickstarter-Kampagne unterstützt und lese euren Blog auch wöchentlich, seit es ihn gibt, da die Einträge wirklich interessante Einblicke in die Entwicklung eines Videospiels geben. Und wo wir schon bei anderen Sprachen sind:
    Wird We Happy Few eigentlich auch in anderen Sprachen außer Englisch synchronisiert (ich hoffe, ich habe das nirgends überlesen, solltet ihr es bereits erwähnt haben)? Ich für meinen Teil spiele Spiele sehr gern im Original (was ja zumeist Englisch ist), bin aber immer interessiert daran, wie bestimmte Charaktere mit deutschen Sprechern besetzt werden.

Keep up the great work!
    Moritz
  • BlounemBlounem Member
    edited January 30
    Un grand bonjour de la Suisse ! - La partie où on parle français, pas cet endroit étrange où on vous fait croire que l'on parle allemand alors qu'il s'agit d'un dialecte tout droit sorti d'un archipel perdu. -
    Le jeu n'est pas encore sorti et je n'ai aucun moyen d'y jouer, mais je suis déjà accro ! Je suis vraiment heureux de voir que les choses avancent à bon rythme et que vous aimiez autant votre création ! J'y jouerai sur Playstation 4, c'est sûr et certain, mais il va encore falloir que j'attende... Aïe !
    Je serai là la semaine prochaine pour lire votre prochain billet.
    Amicalement,

Blounem
  • LizardOfOzLizardOfOz Member
    edited February 1
    A Clara, A Chara

Is maith a fhios agam nach bhfuil dearmad déanta go hiomlán ar an nGaeilge.
    Go raibh mìle maith agat agus an dea-obair a choinneáil suas!

Lizzie