arrow-left arrow-right close decoration email facebook hr-decoration logo_small menu-decoration next prev twitter youtube
Welcome!

Welcome! This is where we talk about things, like games, space and pancakes.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Steam

Old Television!~

OtherbuttonsOtherbuttons Member, Moderator, WHF Friends & Family
Something that's always personally interested me is old BBC television, radio, number stations, test cards, etc. They're so interesting and amazing to think of technology we use so much back in a simpler time.

I based my Hitbox theme around old BBC television, which meant I had to research into it quite a lot to try and make it as authentic feeling as I can (with a Buttons twist of course). Often my startups have old BBC radio broadcasts, TV shows, or old adverts playing over them, even more often from the 60s (there was a charm in 60s media I feel can't be beaten).

I came across the following video this morning which struck me as amazing because it's an early example of news-pisstake shows like Mock the Week and Have I Got News for You (which I would personally class as staples of British humour), and yet it's really not that different. The views are mocking politicians and the law for being racist, homophobic, and generally very right wing views of the 60s, and it's just really fantastic to watch.

I felt with the theme of We Happy Few, some of the forum might be interested in seeing videos like this. As much as WHF is set in an alternate England, 60s England is a very charming time to look into (it had its problems, but also charm). I'd suggest looking up old adverts and news segments too if this does interest you. 8>

Does anyone else have any old shows or whatnot to share? Any early television (50s, 60s, 70s) is welcome, startups, close-downs, etc.