arrow-left arrow-right close decoration email facebook hr-decoration logo_small menu-decoration next prev twitter youtube
Welcome!

Welcome! This is where we talk about things, like games, space and pancakes.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Steam

Absolutely Postively Serious Questions

Dio814Dio814 Member
in WHF General Discussion edited May 19
1. In the Garden District why dont they farm? I mean I see Gardens in games, people even call it the Garden District, also there's damn plants everywhere, can't we just gather up a damn lot of seeds and plant them? I mean without Joy they remember everything, so why did they forget how to farm? Will they ever discover the hidden getting seeds and planting them technology? Find out in 1.0?
2. Why are the bobbies so tall? Is it just the art style? Maybe they are players from the NBA turned British, given bobby uniforms, and drugged up to until they remember nothing. I dunno.
3. Is the Parade District on the mainland, and part of Wellington Wells. If so then they did a damn well job making sure they don't remember anything, considering walls are expensive, Trump doesn't exist, and Bobbies only use batons.
4. Are doctors scared of apples, and can I give one a seizure or heart attack if I show it to them? If I shove an apple in their mouth does their head explode? Can I become Arthur the Badass Doctor Hunter?
  • AlexAlex Compulsion Team
    a. Wastrels generally don't survive long enough to plant and harvest, even if other wastrels didn't steal their food.
    b. The constabulary prefers to hire tall, strong fellows.
    c. The Parade District is on Apple Holm.
    d. I'm inclined to say they are not afraid of apple.
  • Dio814Dio814 Member
    So I guess "an apple a day keeps the doctor away" is a huge lie?
  • Dio814Dio814 Member
    5. Since these are islands and those islands are basically cliffs, can they fish? I mean fishing off basically what is like a cliff is kind of cool, so let's make them cool.
    6. Since the Town Hall at the beginning is at the Parade District, why didn't they put more effort into the piñata. I know it's just a bag and a rat, but with joy that looks like a genuine one, but why on the table? Isn't the parade district the rich area? Does Spanish tradition education just plain suck?
    7. When we get to the Parade District, may we be able to go into the town hall and go batshit crazy?
    8. If it's the Parade District, are there parades? If so, is it good, elaborately planned, or just super half assed that only looks like an actual parade when you're on drugs? I mean on the intro, they barely managed to make a cake.
    9. Does Uncle Jack host tea parties, if so how much spoonfuls of joy shall I mix in?
    10. Is there a Compulsion Job mainly of answering forum questions? Do you just get to answer people whenever you want? Can you only do it on break? Do you have tea breaks?
    5. River is toxic
    6. A combination of "Uncle Jack's description wasn't very good" and "animators near had a heart attack when I said "piñata."
    7. We're still figuring that out.
    8. By the time you get to the Parade, parades may not be a priority for the inhabitants.
    9. You'll have to write to him and ask.
    10. The Amazing Naila is our community person, the rest of us do it for giggles.
  • Dio814Dio814 Member
    11. Will the Parade Dustrict have lots of interiors, staircases, and just look cool. Or is it going to be like the pre alpha, where there were zero interiors?
    12. In future updates will insanity and cannibalism exist. For the player of course?
    13. Can we have a new trap, where we can paint a fake tunnel on a brick wall, or make a sign that says downer hideout. Then all the bobbies run into the wall and look dumb?
    14. Does Uncle Jack have a palace, a manor? Or live on a crazy giant airship with a pill logo on it?
    15. Can we later find an old ww1 machine gun, and change the ammo with crash syringes?
  • lisalisa Member, Compulsion Team
    1. I'm working on environmental narrative for the Parade District right now, and the locations are going to be amazing. The art team has VERY cool stuff planned.
    2. Not telling.
    3. Funny!
    4. Not telling.
    5. Very cool idea!
  • odacaesarodacaesar Member
    edited August 14
    1. So we read that Uncle Jack was overdue on his payments at the House of Curious Behaviour and was thence banned from said venue. Is there an actual "Uncle Jack" to bill? And if so, doesn't he get any special privileges/go-aheads/immunities, established by his fame and backed by the government? If nothing else, how would they verify who would foot the bill?
    2. The Hastings brothers' names remind me of the Weasley family from the Harry Potter franchise, given that they both have Arthurs and Percys. I know, however, that Arthur and Percy Weasley (and some of the other Weasleys) are named after members of the Round Table. Are there any namesakes you can reveal for the Hastingses, or any other characters of WHF?
    3. I've noticed that the wastrel demographic seems to be very diverse, yet Wellington Wells does not tend to be. Will we see any civs or bobbies of other ethnicities? Or is there an unsung societal critique hidden in there somewhere, perhaps?
    4. Do Joy and the hallucinogenic mushrooms contraindicate each other? What would happen if one were to take them simultaneously?
    2. Arthur was named for a king, and a battle. That probably means something.
    There are tons of namesakes throughout the game! Most encounter NPCs are named for somebody. The random Wellies and Wastrels are not, but the special NPCs all follow different naming protocols.
    3. We have to do a pass on the ethnicity of the NPCs. Southwest England would have been extremely white in 1943, when WW got cut off from the world. However, you have already met one important person of colour.
    4. Why don't you try?
  • OtherbuttonsOtherbuttons Member, Moderator, WHF Friends & Family
    'In the Garden District why dont they farm?'

Well there is Margery and her lot catering a farm in the GD. Issue is, it's all went and gone rotten, so the blight seems a bit too strong to farm in.
  • @Alex, regarding npc names I've noticed that Harold Shipman has been renamed. Can you explain why this had happened? I know previously you guys were not willing to change it so I'm curious as to the reasoning behind this now.
    Well, someone, possibly you, made a good point that the families of Shipman's victims are still around, so calling him that didn't seem right. So I changed it. I only gave him the name of a serial killer (now a 19th C serial killer) just to warn the player that picking up syringes out of a toxic bog is not without its dangers.

We're not always going to change things because someone in the community wants us to, but I will when I think they're right, if we have the time and resources to do it.
    By the way, I imagine you should be clearer on the answer to (12) if you've played the update.