arrow-left arrow-right close decoration email facebook hr-decoration logo_small menu-decoration next prev twitter youtube
Welcome!

Welcome! This is where we talk about things, like games, space and pancakes.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Steam

The Purpose of Joy

How do you do, everyone!
First times ever write a post on the forum. So exciting!
First of all, I am very appreciate for the new update. It felt almost like a whole new game. So many new things, so many new experiences. But, the fact that it also got a lot of bugs. (Sorry to say that.)
Any way, let's begin!
Joy in We Happy Few have been a very significant traits. It is the main reason of all and also the very means that Arthur used to overcome many challenge. Without it, the game lose it unique. But... in my opinion, Joy can be much more than it already is.
Players of the game have been complain about the survival side of it a lot, right? Like anywhere, the forum, steam, gog. Many people do not satisfy. "Too easy," "too unrealistic," etc.
And I just thought out a way to help (I think) improve the survival aspect and make Joy something "more."
When I controlled Arthur kill someone, he usually just did it without hesitation and having no bad consequences afterwards. In the real world, when you try to take somebody's life, what will you be like? Just do it straight? Without thinking? Can you do that? I know I can't. Having spent a lot of time with Arthur through the game, I might say he also can't. But life is rough, especially in Wellington Wells, Arthur have to overcome it to survie.
Let's just say that Arthur overcome his fear and kill someone. Wouldn't he be like... sad? Would you? I think I would. The killing'd make Arthur's sanity corrupted. Making him become less effective in the game: Run slower, can't eat, can't sleep, affecting him in his way of surviving.
So now we got penalties for killing. We need something to balance with these penalties, help the players, Arthur, to overcome those sadness, make the chance of surviving large again.
Hmmm. Forget all the sadness, being happy. What would it be, I might ask? What would it be?? XD
  • AlexAlex Compulsion Team
    I think we want to leave the moral aspects to the players. If the player has no compunctions about killing, we don't want to judge him or her. On the other hand we intend to make the game complete-able without killing -- a Pacifist achievement, if you will.
  • Pacifist Achievement, hmmm..
    Honestly, I dont really interested in achievements or care much about the not killing. I just simply thought about the progress I having when play WHF, being Arthur.
    Just imagine, playing a game giving you unique experiences, strange feelings. Things that you can never have in reality. What would you have in mind after playing the game?
    My answer is the progress of you playing the game. The choices you made, the actions you did, the game "reactions."
    It keep buzzing you inside your head.
    On the other hand, I think the point is not judging people. What Arthur feels doesn't relate to anyone. They wouldn't mind. :)
    It was Arthur who got affected anyway. So...
    The moral aspects, as you said, if are leaving to the players then it would like doesn't exist... at all. Players want to have fun time or memorial time in game. They anticipate to find it in your game. You can't expect them to think it out themselves.
    Oops, wrote too much... Im gonna end here. Mom said it wasn't good to talk too much. XD
  • OtherbuttonsOtherbuttons Member, Moderator, WHF Friends & Family
    I had some troubles with this back when there weren't any real knock-out mechanics and Arthur was killing people willy-nilly; since then they've added non-fatal takedowns, drugs to pull people off of their joy, and telling voice lines. Arthur definitely shows remorse for the situation now and that won me over as a nice middle ground. He's a pretty nerdy looking guy, not exactly built (despite- as we've heard a million times, Arthur- doing track and field), and he shows no signs of being a sociopathic murderer. But honestly, if you're trying to overcome a goal so great, overcoming obstacals of life and death, there's a good chance you're going to do some things you're not proud of... but there's also a chance you won't.

From a player's standpoint, it's an odd plot to overcome in any game and it can be done really wrong if you try and put too much emphasis on it. Best example of wrong that I know is Lara Croft: She breaks down over killing a deer, then proceeds to murder countless people and not give a damn. The immersion is broken instantly for me, since there's no in character growth there, and the character is one of the main reasons I get attached to games.

We Happy Few is a fun one though, because it's survival and optional. In a game like this, I've noticed there's a weird self-moral system- not a mechanic or anything, just between you and your conscience. I personally brought up the in-character moral issue in the past because I felt uncomfortable from a story point going on a rampage; I relate pretty heavily with some of the stuff these NPCs have to go through, and it just... felt bad? Like an artificial guilt. But on the other hand if I'm doing a stream and I'm just trying to progress to the end, it's a case of swallowing that, going 'oh it's just a game' and murdering everyone in sight for their sweet, sweet pills. For you it could be completely different.

tl;dr It effects everyone so widely that I couldn't imagine you'd be able to please everyone unless you put in a moral system (think Mass Effect) that showed actual changes in the character, and that'd take a looot of resources.

As beautiful insightful as watching Arthur go crazy from doing a lot of really tough shit, from a gameplay perspective it would make an already hard game even harder, and I wonder how many survival factors you can put in a game before it gets overwhelming.
  • Hey! I thought I'd add on to some of the points you and the others have made.
    Since I can't play the game yet (need to get a gaming laptop), I instead spend a lot of time watching We Happy Few gameplays, and I spend even more time analyzing the lore and Arthur's thoughts, which can be found in the journal section. Listening to him when he loots bodies he's beaten up, he often shows remorse for his actions, but if you read his thoughts you'll get a lot more of an understanding. He does realize that lots of the things he's doing are bad. But because of the world and circumstances he's living in, he has no other choice. If he doesn't loot, he will starve and thirst. If he doesn't knock out, and in some cases kill, fellow wastrels, Wellies, and bobbies, he will die. So he's quite aware of the consequences. Although sometimes repeatedly doing things like looting and attacking do affect his thoughts in a not so positive way. For example, he talks about finding a good size rock to throw at bobbies and for a fleeting moment thinks, "That actually sounds fun...is that too awful?" When looting Mrs. Marley (the woman who fell off the roof with the safe), he thinks, "Poor woman! I wonder if she's got anything useful on her. Oh my Lord, I've become a ghoul."
    Personally, I think he's perfectly capable of going either raving mad or somehow staying the "straight man in a world gone mad". He could stay trapped in the insanity like poor Sam Lowry in Brazil, or he could grow strong and escape Wellington Wells, possibly coming out of it a hero. The horrors will probably linger with him for as long as he lives. But with the kind of man he is and his journalism background, his intelligence and reasoning do seem to give him better odds at coming out of this relatively intact. And he clearly does have heart...when he doesn't have to be a "ghoul". Unless the developers do add some kind of moral component to the game (like in Bioshock), I think it's up the the writers as to what direction Arthur goes in the game. They know his story, after all.
  • If There Was A Sanity Meter, I Think It Should Be Lowered In Various Ways, Such As Unlawful Actions, Having Critical Statuses, Taking Severe Damage And Being Near A Suspicious/Hostile NPC, And Recovered By Joy And Sleep.